Vegetarians ( and Vegans ) Thread!!!

Back in the day (early 70's) I used to sprout seeds/bean, etc. So this week I decided to sprout some chickpeas to make some raw hummus for our new raw diet. Hmmmm. . . I forgot how. So I soaked the hell out of those chickpeas for 5 days (changing the water and rinsing them regularly) and they didn't sprout. Yesterday I smartened up and looked on line. Oh yeah. Eventually you need to take them out of the soak water to let them sprout. Finally today we had little sprouts that were big enough to make some hummus with. It is pretty yummy.

Today is day 8 of our raw lifestyle. So far so good. We've been successful -- I'm a good cook and cooking is kind of automatic. now I need to learn how to be an uncook and an unbaker - it's a steep learning curve. I'm glad there are so many websites out there with info and recipes. I've made some very nice dishes, guacamole, marinara sauce, raw chili, a parmesan style "cheese", and of course a variety of smoothies. and crackers. and sweet potato chips (twice). and cookies are currently in the dehydrator. And tomorrow I'm making a date torte to bring to a family gathering. I've got to have the snack stuff around. A piece of fruit doesn't always do it.

Now I just need to figure out how to organize all this so that I'm not in the kitchen for hours each day and we have some grab and go meals.
Forgive me if this sounds stupid, Ive seen sprouts (some sort of bean) in the salad bar at a local restaurantt got me wondering what do you do if you 're out with friends?
highfive.gif

Hey guys! I know this isn't on topic, but I figured that I'd share some good news and bad news that I found out with you.

GOOD NEWS (We all need more of that!)

I called up CHEEZ-IT and asked them about the enzymes in their product. I was only asking for a DUOZ Sharp Cheddar and Parmesan box at my house, but they answered my question for all of their products: the enzymes are made from yeast. (aka plant enzymes.) They said that all of their CHEEZ-IT's and even the Austin snacks (peanut butter, cheese, ect.) are made from yeast enzymes.

BAD NEWS (Someone's gotta tell you.)

I called up MARS and asked them about their Combos BAKED SNACKS. They said that their enzymes are made from veal (aka 'rennet' from baby cows...) So to anyone that's vegetarian or is against eating baby cows, I would avoid Combos.

This is all 100% true. I called them up about a half hour ago. If you don't believe me or want to double check here are the numbers for the two products:

CHEEZ-IT: 1-877-453-5837 You may be on hold for a few minutes, but you'll get to talk to someone eventually. They're not available on Saturdays or Sundays.

Combos (aka Mars): 1-800-556-7881: I wasn't on hold that long. They also are not available to answer questions on Saturdays and Sundays.

images
OKAY
images

images
NOT OKAY
your info is usful for anyone who are having over friends who are vegitarians or vegans I'm an omnivore and after reading the interaction o this thread I trly believe A group of BYCers could have a get together, say a coup tour. I think We could have an interestin time developing a menu that ahas somthing hat everybody likes

it would be interesting to come up with a menu that has somthing for every body

Good to know of the cheese.Had no idea baby cows were used.Here I thought avoiding the veal meal was all I needed to do!

your info is usful for anyone who are having over friends who are vegitarians or vegans I'm an omnivore and after reading the interaction o this thread I trly believe A group of BYCers could have a get together, say a coup tour. I think We could have an interestin time developing a menu that ahas somthing hat everybody likes

it would be interesting to come up with a menu that has somthing for every body
X2!

Hi Nozolbitty and Marty,
Actually the raw food thing is working well, except that I seem to be spending a lot of time in the kitchen - preparing crackers, cookies, candy, and all the healthy stuff too. The transition physically for me has been good. I think I had kind of worked into it gradually - gluten free for a year, no meat/chicken for a while, dairy free for a few weeks. My poor DH on the other hand, has had a bit of an adjustment. Went cold turkey off the white bread, yogurt, coffee diet. He is doing better now though, but would like to add some rice/beans/eggs which we may end up doing.

We haven't eaten out yet. I think I would order a fruit plate, salad, bring crackers to a mexican restaurant and just have salsa and quacamole. I don't know. I think I would have miso soup perhaps in a japanese restaurant with some seaweed salad.

This week was a nightmare -- trying to feed two grand daughters 8 and 4 who are really into fruitloops and chicken nuggets. Uggg!
sad.png
I made strawberry banana pinkalicious smoothies which they had fun making but then wouldn't drink. Added blueberries because the little one wanted to make a purpleicious one, which they wouldn't drink. Ended up adding kale and had a yummy shrek green smoothie for two meals.

Made some yummy cacoa date balls which are really good tasting candy, which they loved to make, but wouldn't even try. It's like come on kids. . . it's chocolate for crying out loud.
he.gif

Well -- off to eat dinner. Stuffed portobello mushrooms caps with quacamole. (the kids are off visiting an aunt and uncle who will feed them SAD (standard american diet).
Paula

Hey! I just got a reply from the cheese brand FRIGO. Here's the reply:

"Thank you for contacting Saputo Cheese USA Inc.!
All of our domestic products contain bovine milk and microbial (non-animal sourced) rennet with the exception of Ricotta Cheese. This is considered a "rennet less" cheese. Some of our products do contain lipase which is animal sourced (calf, kid or lamb). Lipase is usually found in our more intensely flavored cheeses. The following products do not contain lipase: Baby Swiss, Blue Cheese, Cheddar, Colby, Colby-Jack, Edam, Gorgonzola, Gouda, Lorraineâ, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Muenster, Parmesan, Ricotta, String Cheese and Swiss.
Please note that ingredients or changes in formulations may affect the above information and are subject to change without notice.
If you have any questions please contact us again.
Thank you"

Sorry if this info comes off as annoying, because it seems like I'm posting info one after the other after the other. I'm just trying to share info I find.

Hey! I just got a reply from the cheese brand FRIGO. Here's the reply:

Sorry if this info comes off as annoying, because it seems like I'm posting info one after the other after the other. I'm just trying to share info I find.

It's never bad to have a lot of information! I've never heard of FRIGO, but if I ever see it I will keep it in mind. I do know that in California here, Tilamook is a safe brand (except for their white cheddar) while Kraft and Nob Hill Foods (Raleys, Bel Air, Nob Hill markets) is not free from rennet.

Hi everyone! I am new to backyard chickens.com but not new to veganism. I'm stoked to find there are other vegans out there with chicken animal-companions! Yay! - Heather

Back
Top Bottom