Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of a rambling thing.

I remember a few years ago when I moved from Idaho to the Tricites, the sea gulls made it feel a bit like home. Then, when I moved back to Olympia, the sea gulls made it feel like home. I never really knew why.

It is all this forums fault! All the discussion of Yard Birds! This morning when I woke up at my mother's house and heard the gulls it hit me! It is the memory of going to the Farmer's Market when I was 5 with my aunt and parking in the Yard Bird's parking lot. Being really close to the water, there were a lot of gulls there.
lau.gif

I probably won't make it to Yard Birds tomorrow

we will see -- but I have had to re-think about the dog being strictly outside

he barks ... and barks ... and barks .... nonstop, until let back in

neighbors surely won't stand for THAT !

I'll have to come up with some other solution, since he has epileptic seizures which medication doesn't stop

could deal with those if he didn't also lose bladder control during ... and he has never been trained to "go" on command

DS thought he had things under control, but since he's left, the dog has grieved and whined also nonstop

I'm getting a new mattress for company coming next month; I think I'll wrap an old shower curtain around this mattress, and put a tarp on the floor after I take the old industrial carpet up .. then towels to catch any overflow

I'd thought DGD, her steady boyfriend, and DGS, would sleep out in the RV, but DH thinks they would want to be in the house

ok -- no eggs yesterday, no eggs so far today; I checked the likely pullets and can't feel anything "odd", so maybe they are just taking a day or two off ...

Quote:
I would get some baby bird formula at the pet store, and then I would try to find an animal rescue place or vet that would take it. I got some formula at Pet Smart and it had directions on how to feed a rescued baby bird. But depending on how old they are, you may have to feed like every 20-30 min even at night.

I haven't had any luck on Craigslist finding this little roo a home, so I thought I'd try this chatty group
big_smile.png

I have a 16 week old gorgeous Blue Mille Fleur D'Uccle cockerel that I am needing to find a new home for. The Blue Mille Fleur is VERY rare. D'Uccles have a gorgeous feather pattern, feathered feet, muffs, and are bearded. This cockerel would be great for 4H shows.

He is a bantam, and is completely sweet and gentle. We hatched a batch of eggs and he is the best looking of the bunch. He does not LOVE to be held, but he is very used to children around.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to see more pictures.

58565_roo2.jpg

Quote:
I would get some baby bird formula at the pet store, and then I would try to find an animal rescue place or vet that would take it. I got some formula at Pet Smart and it had directions on how to feed a rescued baby bird. But depending on how old they are, you may have to feed like every 20-30 min even at night.

The closest pet smart is 3 hours from me (Im up in okanogan county) I will see what my mom n pop pet store has. I will attempt to find an animal rescue place around this joint I know haha Thanks for responding!

Just an update on life. Still living the dream here in Chattaroy which is still close to home and all that. I have decided to try to make my ultimate breed using what I have (phoenix, sumatra, wyandottes, RIRs, and EE's). Everyone who knows me knows that Im cheap and hate spending money when I dont have to, thats why I want a bird that can lay plenty of eggs and have a decent carcass just off of free ranging. So far over here on the dry side of the state our growing season is slow. The taters are doing ok (planted 300, got 180 plants), the tomatos are still green but its only a matter of time. I quit my job at the pet store back in June and been doing side jobs for cash and other stuff, I did some mowing for a lady and got a couple chickens and a bunch of fencing, its pretty awesome and more enjoyable.

Quote:
Am I to assume that you & sis finally caught the one to butcher and the bull issue is over for the time being?
You must be exhausted!!!
Stumpfarmer, PM or e-mail { or use the dreaded phone & call } me if you want to share a quarter w/us................we are game for a full 1/8th, and can trade you what you want & so on.

I am painting, still have poop trays & chick pens to clean........trying hard to keep my nose into the painting though.
Have a Cuckoo pip tomorrow and another on Monday the 25th..........after that is a break in incubation.....
th.gif

This morning, we spied the oldest Midget White Turkey fully fluffed, tail spread fan-like, strutting & vibrating...so cute!!
he is barely 12" tall!!!!!
Well, hope all is well....talk at ya later!
frow.gif

Quick! Get labor out of her when she comes to pick up the meat!

Would that I had any control at all over that time-table!

Thurston County Fair starts next Wednesday, so of course this is when the Minnesota relatives are visiting. So The Nephew is currently even more in demand than ever. The elder of my spawn is working many hours a week, thanks to Harry Potter and Captain America, and the younger is on manditory overtime. Oh, yeah, and the hired hand's had her shifts changed and is only off every other Wednesday. I may have a line on someone who is coming here from Montana, I hope, but that won't be until the week after next, maybe.

Life is rich and full and I'm reminded every day why most of the farmers in my grandparents' generation (and no few in my parents' !) had ten, eleven, or twelve kids.

Quote:
I was a vendor at that market for about five years, as a matter of fact. Started in 1982 at the Western Farmer's parking lot, and then at the first "new" market until my daughter was born in 1988.

I miss the Oly Yard Birds almost as much as I miss Western Farmers: I saw Stan Boreson perform there and then are lunch one table over from him and SloMo in the old Seamart Cafe, which was the closest I got to any sort of celebrity for a very long time indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom