Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
CR
Eggs are eggs if they are chicken. My one girlfriend said oh oh the blue one's are so much better for you. I said really she said yes and went on about it. Thank I had to tell her the truth. Sad look on her face made me laugh
gig.gif
Well of course they are unless they are those nasty WHITE eggs ! ! !

Hey guys I need help... My husbands friend has chicken and his broody barred rock has a patch of dried skin on her belly. I dont know the details but here is the picture I was sent. Any ideas what it could be?

Yes, I do and I know a few others do too. I have the Octagon 20 Advanced. It does have the egg turner but does not have the humidity pump. In retrospect, I WISH I had gone ahead and sprung for the Advanced EX because I've heard so many good things about it. But the directions on the model I have are pretty darn easy and somewhat foolproof. I do check the temp every morning and add water to the reservoir every other day during incubation. At lockdown I adjust the airflow vent, fill both reservoirs with water and wait for my babies to hatch!

I think it's worked pretty well for me. I've had successful hatches all three times I've used it. I've also loaned it to a couple of others who have also had great success with it.

This last time was hatching Silkies and Seramas. They hatched on Mother's Day. Two of my Seramas did not hatch - 6 went into lock down and only 4 hatched. The two that did not hatch never even pipped.
sad.png
However, I have been told that Seramas can be very fragile and I should be pleased with my 4, because they can be a challenge to hatch.

The Silkies and Seramas are all 2 weeks old today and thriving, active little buggers. LOVE them. I wish they were all girls, but I'll have to wait and see!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about my incubator you'd like to ask.
Thanks I think I a gonna save and go with the advanced EX. I never hatched my own eggs before so I want something easy but also something that will last. I thought about getting a foam bator because I have heard good things and they are a lot cheaper my only issue with that is foam breaks down and it seems harder to clean in between hatches. So I think it wouldnt last as long and I would just end up spending the extra money buying another one. Thanks again.

I do remember the slash, why have they not been burned ?
I had a hardy (2 actually) Kiwi)s) growing up the 2 story house I rented years ago in Seattle.
The vines were huge, old & grew up the 2 stories to twine around on an upper story deck covering !
We had huge deliscious kiwis !!!!!!!
They were fuzzy, and did great in all weather.
I would imagine if you grew kiwis on a slash pile, while the pile would look nicer...may be impossible to crwl around in the slash to harvest.......
hmm.png
Be careful !

Fuzzy Kiwis and Hardy Kiwis are two different species
wink.png
Hardy Kiwis are small and have no fuzz, but are sweeter and more flavorful.

I'll be pruning and training the kiwis over time to give me little "crawl paths" to go up without hurting the vines. I've already crawled up those piles plenty before, so, I've some experience.

The piles were not burned because most are too close to important things (greenhouse, orchard, etc) and few people wanted to help burn for us, so, we decided to give in and do something productive with them. The remaining non-Kiwi ones will slowly be pulled apart for firewood and the sort, until we've money to cover them too with vines.

Hey guys I need help... My husbands friend has chicken and his broody barred rock has a patch of dried skin on her belly. I dont know the details but here is the picture I was sent. Any ideas what it could be?

Looks normal to me? Broody hens will rip out their belly and breast feathers to keep their eggs warmer, more skin contact, and so in doing that the surface may possibly dry out or at times rough up the rather thin skin.

Looks normal to me? Broody hens will rip out their belly and breast feathers to keep their eggs warmer, more skin contact, and so in doing that the surface may possibly dry out or at times rough up the rather thin skin.
thanks I never had a broody hen so thats what I thought but I figured I would ask someone who knows.

I had one broody that would get over zealous at the removing feathers for the eggs. Her sides would be bare up to the wings even. She'd get dry rough skin where her breastbone rubbed on the ground some.

Coop De-Poopers! These ladies are wonderful!

CR - See those masks? I was training them how to rustle hens, so you better keep your girls hidden!

Nice ! I am guessing they were doing some coop cleaning for you ??? I would be more than happy to allow them to continue practicing their skills and I may even give a few rustling lessons.

OK Now I am gonna go a bit off topic. Imagine that ! Along the FREE fridge I mentioned earlier. I now also have about 20 used doz cartons and about 100 used 18 pk cartons. These are all the card board/paper type. FREE Just speak up and we will see about getting them relayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom