Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just posted pics of my silkie "girls" on the silkie thread this morning and asked if the were indeed pullets. 3 people have commented so far and ALL 3 said BOYS! So that explains the mysterious second crow DH and I heard a couple weeks ago. So, looks like I will re home the two boys that are nice and now I have an empty coop to fill!
gig.gif

At risk of being charged with double posting.....
Does anyone know a poultry term for the term RUNT? Runt refers to multiple births, litters.

Somebody mentioned, CRETAN?
I don't know about being charged with double posting, but I don't know that the word "cretan" meaning someone from the Greek island of Crete, has anything to do with poultry or runts, so I can't help you there. There is a word similarly pronounced but spelled differently that is used as a derogatory term, but I don't see how that would relate to poultry either.

Okay, we're ready! We've settled on breeding stock (pics on our coop page), and, by early next year, we'll have all breeds laying.

100% English Orpingtons (b/b/s LF and chocolate bantam) -- Olandsk Dwarfs -- Icelandics (second generation from two lines directly imported)

We're starting waiting lists for hatching eggs and chicks!

Any ideas on how best to market? Anyone selling hatching eggs and chicks under a small business with advice?

Can't help you as far as marketing, but congrats for putting together the flock you dreamed of!

My house sitter just told me we got 5 eggs yesterday!!! These chooks are amazing and I'm dying to get back and see who else started laying!

Hello everyone! Here are some pictures I wanted to share from the weekend!
smile.png

Heidi - our Appenzeller Spitzhauben from Hallerlake at 10 weeks - a tiny little girl!

One of the Brabanter girls at four months.

Bantam girls at 12 weeks - Princess Buttercup and Frodo
big_smile.png

Mixed flock!

Heidi next to another chick her age - this is a little cockerel EE - both 10 weeks.

Juno - our Giant Jersey and the flock leader.

Princess Buttercup
love.gif

Thanks for looking!

Such pretty birds! I love when folks share photos...

Oh my gosh, So I am trying to help out a friend of mine. The day before yesterday I got a call from my friend that her dog got out of her yard and into the neighbors yard, who had chickens. The neighbor claims that my friends dog killed her 5 chickens and 10 quail. Now Dear Friends dog has never done this before and has been around chickens and other farm animals before, just never lived with them. Neighbor called the cops and cops said DF had to put her dog down. That night DF gave her dog a bath and called me asking "if my dog killed that many animals wouldn't there be blood on her and feathers?" I told her I don't know for sure but I would assume that there would at least be blood on dogs mouth and front paws, as they would hold what they kill with their front paws as they ate it. She said there was no blood at all on her dog. Well DF's dog was put down the next day before she could get home and do some looking into what happened.

Well she was told she had to replace the 5 chickens and 10 quail. I don't have any quail nor know of anyone who does so I am assuming they will have to be ordered as chicks from a hatchery. As far as chickens, DF's neighbor wants laying hens. I normally would just give her 5 of mine but because I have lost so many to coyotes the last few weeks I would have almost no laying hens left if I gave her 5.

I have already asked DF if her neighbor had or wants any specific breeds, She has not gotten that info yet. So I am wondering if any of you all in the Snohomish county area would be willing to give or sell some of your laying hens to me so that I may help DF. I will be buying them and just giving them to DF at no cost to her. She has already lost her puppy. I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Are Pomeranians hard to potty train? I know of two that were sadly re-homed due to pee problems.

When I took in my pug, she was a package deal with a Pom. He spend the night, in transit to his new home, and marked everywhere. My close friend had a Pom that would pee on her husband. Yep, he would lay on the floor, and get sprayed.

I have not had that issue but it does take repetition. I foster for a small dog rescue and so have this same issue of the new dogs who come into my house, while I work with them, before they move onto the rescue itself. I currently have two, that the local shelter asked me to take. They are now housebroke and when they gain enough weight (they are walking skeleton's) they will move over to the Rescue for placement.

For dogs, moving to a new home, I recommend a belly band- for males- and pants for the girls.

A belly band is a piece of material that goes around the dogs middle and is closed with Velcro. In it you put a piece of a people incontinence pad (I cut, the ones I get from WalMart into thirds).

This way, while you are training the dog and they are learning your house and your rules, they are not having any accidents and if they mark- no biggie.

When they mark or potty in the wrong area, tell them no and, calmly, pick them up and take them to where you want them to go.

If it is outside, always take them to the same place and say "go potty" or any command you choose. Just make sure that it is always the same command every time. Mine are trained to go whenever I give them the command. When you are traveling or at a show, you don't want to be standing in the rain waiting for the dog to 'find that right spot'.

I also use a washable potty pad at the back door in case they need to go when I am not home or my disability is flaring up and I can't get up to take them out.

I hope that some of this will help you. You can always PM me with any other questions.

Sheila :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom