Welcome New Section: Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First read and be sure you understand your communities ordinances. Sounds obvious but.... for 15 years I accepted that our town prohibited the keeping of all livestock including poultry. I've been keeping chickens anyway as have a few others and someone in the canyon over keeps a goat. It came up in a police report recently that residents are ignoring the livestock ban and the police captain wanted to bring this to the council's attention. So hubby and I dug out the town code book to search for the exact ordinance and low and behold- there is none. It is just a long accepted 'fact' that livestock is not allowed. Elected officials and residents alike are of that impression, even the police officers. I confronted the animal control officer and asked for an ordinance number and he said that there is none and he doesn't know why everyone thinks there is. Should be a big YEAH, but they may try to pass an ordinance so I'll be preparing to argue against it. Karen DW

GREAT!!!!!

Well, we changed the ordinance in our city last summer (my daughter Olivia started the campaign) and we archived a lot of the information we used to convince the town. WE're happy to share it with anyone who needs it!!

A couple things: if you think you might want to try to change your town's laws, be prepared for what might be a LOT of time and energy. Municipal government can work extremely slowly, and a lot of people will have objections that will seem ridiculous to you. It took us 5 months and literally hundreds of hours of researching, campaigning, public relations, organizing, presentations to the city, etc. It was grueling. So just be warned!!

I do not have time right now but I will try to come back here in a week or so and post links to all of the archived documents we have, which include research on other cities' laws, opposition you are likely to encounter and how to rebuff, letters to the city officials and media, etc. If anyone needs this stuff in the meantime feel free to email.

For now, here is the web site we used during the campaign, with links to some good info: http://www.sailzora.com/chickens.htm

and
our new "hooray we can have chickens in town" site here: http://www.sopochickens.org

Stacey

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! I'm so glad this section was started! Since acquiring Ese n Gracie....all my friends want chickens....I'm beyond obsessed...it's catching...we all know this! So many people think it's illegal to have them where they live. I just took on another Roo b/c my friends neighbors complained (we are in the middle of nowhere and it's legal) The neighbors can pump up the volume of Tupac but a little roo is too much! Oi!

I am so glad to see this link. It is written in my small town's ordinance that "poultry" is forbidden. I had a small bantam rooster named Roaster from his first day. We had 8 wonderful years together until he decided to tangle with a mom raccoon during the day. He died in my arms.
My neighbors loved him. I miss him much.
I now have 5 hens. I love having chickens.
I keep them incognito, but do fear there may be a day I may get caught.
Thanks to all for the info. I hope i never have to use it, but it is a piece of mind knowing I can get some info if needed.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Sorry about your Roaster
hugs.gif

Should explain, will not move to the farm for another couple of years. No worries about them there as far as restrictions , and will have lots more. Until then chickens are not allowed in my existing town, so thanks again to all for the info.

Hello All,
My first time posting so I hope I'm doing it right! Need some advice. We live in the city limits on 1.6 acres. We have 9 hens that we've raised since chicks. They are about to start laying. "Someone in the neighborhood" complained and now we have Animal Control over here saying that we have to get rid of 5 of them. We keep them in the backyard and they've never bothered anyone so it's just hatefullness. In the ordinance it says that it doesn't apply to indoor pets that include but aren't limited to parakeets, parrots, etc. Do you think I could keep 5 of them in my garage? Incognito of course. Has anyone dealt with this before? We really don't want to get rid of 1/2 of our flock. We're very attached and I don't even know which are good layers yet? What do you think? (my 10 year old is really freaking out!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom