What color should easter egger chicks legs be?

AnimalFriend<3

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 21, 2011
I have some easter egger chicks on the way and I was wondering what color their legs should be. I know typically the adults have the green/slate legs but most of the chicks I've seen have had orange/yellow legs. Will it change as they get older? Will they not lay the blue or green eggs if they have yellow legs? Please add pictures if you have them. Any advice on this breed is welcomed. Thanks!
D.gif

Easter eggers are mutts, they have no set standard.. Ameracauna's, and Aracauna's do, but EE's do not. EE's are the mutts of said previous breeds, they may come white, yellow, blue, green, black legged. Single, pea, rose, etc comb. Silkie feathered, non-Silkie feathered.. You name it..

The typical EE though, does indeed have green/blue legs. They may be yellow at first, or yellow with a green tint and will change with age.. Or they may stay, or that may come with green legs straight out of the shell. Depends on the genetic background.

-Daniel

Last edited:
A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. I have 5 EEs (had 6 but lost the most beautiful EE I've ever seen, my Pearly-girl) and I get blue eggs from all of them, except Scout, who is too young to lay. Pearl laid blue eggs as well when she was with us, and who knows what color Scout will lay? I am no breeder, nor do I feel that's important to me. I'll leave that to smarter folks than I am. I just have the chickens because I like them, like the eggs, and they make my grandkids happy. I do love my EEs, or whatever folks might want to call them, regardless of their parentage so I'll just sit back and enjoy my yard full of roses.
wink.png

Quote:
Oh their a breed all right just not a recognized breed per "APA".

EE is something that lays Green/Blue/Pink eggs...that dosn't make them a breed. Their Breed Counter Part would be Araucanas and Ameraucanas.

Quote:
Oh their a breed all right just not a recognized breed per "APA".

EE is something that lays Green/Blue/Pink eggs...that dosn't make them a breed. Their Breed Counter Part would be Araucanas and Ameraucanas.

Whatever, you can call them what you want. They are not an actual breed per se but they are a type from which the Araucana and the Ameraucana are derived, so I see them as a breed and am trying to breed them to a standard, and am not crossing them to anything else right now, in the future I will be trying out some Araucana and the Ameraucana crosses to improve the blue egg color, and do not feel that I'm straying off my standard for them as they are all close kin. Some of us take our EE's a little more serious and not mixing with other breeds to make olive egg, and as far as egg production goes they really don't need anything added as they are for the most part excellent layer by themselves.

Quote:
Whatever, you can call them what you want. They are not an actual breed per se but they are a type from which the Araucana and the Ameraucana are derived, so I see them as a breed and am trying to breed them to a standard, and am not crossing them to anything else right now, in the future I will be trying out some Araucana and the Ameraucana crosses to improve the blue egg color, and do not feel that I'm straying off my standard for them as they are all close kin. Some of us take our EE's a little more serious and not mixing with other breeds to make olive egg, and as far as egg production goes they really don't need anything added as they are for the most part excellent layer by themselves.

You go girl!!!
clap.gif

Well okay but I'm a guy.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom