White Eyes

Garden Peas, could you help me out with Jacks reply?
idunno.gif

Rats! And I was sure that those white centers in the eyes meant white eye. So this is just Pied markings?

To me these look like White Eyes.

These on the other hand are odd looking to me, but I am not at all familiar with WE so I just assumed this was another way it expresses. To see an Eye feather with color in the ocelli and then white tips on the herl(fringe) is not something any of my birds have.

And he is only showing 3 or 4 feathers with white on them this year?

Well years ago i asked about a splash of white being on a peacocks eye feather rather than the entire eye being white and i was told by many many folks here that my birds was a white eyed, IMO i did not think he was cause his eyes only had a splash of white
idunno.gif
I thought the eye would have more white and questioned if the eyes would get more white in the eyes as i thought it was pretter and was told they could but because my not all my peacock feathers had white splashed in the eye that my boy was only caring one white eyed gene , that if he had two white eyed genes he would have white on all the eyes, never once did anyone say that the entire eye should be white
idunno.gif

I really don't care, i have silvers coming so i am good i would just like to know which is right .
Heck every time someone post a photo of an IB hen with white feathers on her back folks say it is a white eyed hen

George at Conner Hills would know so i hope he comes and help us understand with his expertise.

To me these look like White Eyes.

These on the other hand are odd looking to me, but I am not at all familiar with WE so I just assumed this was another way it expresses. To see an Eye feather with color in the ocelli and then white tips on the herl(fringe) is not something any of my birds have.

And he is only showing 3 or 4 feathers with white on them this year?

Mindy, the day I started this post I had seen him displaying and I saw NONE. I have gone through a lot of doubting myself until I found these two pics from last May to confirm that this bird really did have some white on his train. My thought now brings me to conclude that he was three last year and that this train was an immature. not sexually, but first full train.

I don't think that this new train is fully grown yet and it may still be going through some changes. I watched him today and he did not do any displaying. I did however get these photos as he walked by me. I will get that displaying photo as soon as I can.

I have no idea if the white comes in as it matures or if the white should be there all along the feathers development.

Here are some other views if it would help.

He loves peanuts.

I wish I could get a better view of the almost cameo colored patches he has on both pant legs surrounded by white. If you can enlarge this pic you can see some on the right inner thigh.

Here are some very poor quality feather pix... old, faded, stained and in bad, yellow lighting that makes the colored part look much more copper/brown/red than the actual color of dirty, sun-burned opal... but it's all I have at the moment
roll.png
Since this is from a silver pied, it is presumably a double factor WE bird... so the white eye is complete through the tail (all ocelli are white) and they are all full ocelli... though given that there is a LOT of white, and not much color, it's hard to distinguish them. These two train feathers both have a bit of color, and in the first one, it outlines the white eye.

Interestingly, if you look closely, you can see the structure -- the various color rings -- in the white eye, like a white damask tablecloth. You can see it more easily in the second photograph.

Although this dark horizontal "stripe" on the left side of the photo looks like dirt or other contamination (!), it is actually just a little bit of color in the herl, I think. You can see a bit of color above the white eye (bottom of photo) on what would be the right side of the feather if it were upright. You can see that it stops at the outside ring of the eye. You can also see the different rings fairly clearly in this photo (don't mind the staining and grunge, sorry!!!)

Wish I had better pix and feathers in better condition
hide.gif

Well years ago i asked about a splash of white being on a peacocks eye feather rather than the entire eye being white and i was told by many many folks here that my birds was a white eyed, IMO i did not think he was cause his eyes only had a splash of white
idunno.gif
I thought the eye would have more white and questioned if the eyes would get more white in the eyes as i thought it was pretter and was told they could but because my not all my peacock feathers had white splashed in the eye that my boy was only caring one white eyed gene , that if he had two white eyed genes he would have white on all the eyes, never once did anyone say that the entire eye should be white
idunno.gif

I really don't care, i have silvers coming so i am good i would just like to know which is right .
Heck every time someone post a photo of an IB hen with white feathers on her back folks say it is a white eyed hen

George at Conner Hills would know so i hope he comes and help us understand with his expertise.

I was also under the impression that splashes of white in the ocelli, rather than a full white eye could mean partial WE or just a single WE gene... and thought I had seen photos where folks said that was what it was. No clue if they actually knew, or if there's been a whole lot of assuming going on.

And I agree, we keep seeing hens with what seem from the photos to be random white feathers on the back, and then sometimes frosting... and I thought I understood that the more frosted ones were double WE, where the ones with kinda random white feathers were single WE?

It is massively confusing, so I am very glad we are having this discussion. Thanks very much @KsKingBee for starting it.

Back
Top Bottom