Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I just got an e-mail that they are doing a Pullorum testing class in Madison, and on a Saturday. This makes me Happy Happy Happy! I did not really want to drive to Hancock on a Wed. night. It looks like you can still pre-register.

Back to work,

Joe

I just got an e-mail that they are doing a Pullorum testing class in Madison, and on a Saturday. This makes me Happy Happy Happy! I did not really want to drive to Hancock on a Wed. night. It looks like you can still pre-register.

Back to work,

Joe

here is the website quoted here:

http://datcp.wi.gov/animals/poultry/

Pullorum testing certification seminars coming up

Pullorum testing is overwhelmingly popular this year, so to accommodate the requests DATCP has scheduled two training seminars. The first will be held Wednesday evening, April 10, 2013 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the main office of the Hancock Agricultural Research Station, located at N3909 County Rd V, Hancock, Wis. The second will be held Saturday, April 13, 2013 from 9:30 a.m. – Noon in the 1st floor Board Room of DATCP headquarters located at 2811 Agriculture Drive in Madison. Both seminars are for people who would like to become a certified pullorum tester for poultry in Wisconsin. There is no cost to attend the seminar.

Certified testers can test their own or others' poultry so that flocks can qualify for the National Poultry Improvement Program, Wisconsin Tested Flock Program, or individual testing requirements. These testing programs allow owners to move birds for fairs, exhibits, and sales. Certified testers must be at least 18 years old, and adhere to NPIP and Wisconsin Tested Flock program standards. Testers don't need to be veterinarians or veterinary technicians. The seminar will explain the requirements for the poultry testing programs, and demonstrate how to test for poultry diseases such as pullorum and mycoplasma gallisepticum.

Pre-registration is required – please contact Margie Proost as soon as possible to register at 608-224-4877 or email to [email protected] or mail to PO Box 8911, Madison, WI 53708-8911.

FYI

Hi, folks! Wanted to let you know I met a woman from the Madison Freecycle group who has black silkie roos she's trying to rehome. She lives past McFarland out by Cottage Grove. I think they're bantams but confirm that with her. She's going to butcher them this week if she doesn't get any takers as she has just too many roos and they're doing too much damage to her hens. But she said they're so little, it's not hardly worth it. I'd love to have one but I'm in the city, so I can't. Hope someone here can! Her name is Maggie, and her email is: [email protected] (Tell her I'm putting you in touch with her.) Here's her post from Freecycle:

er
Location​
hm = McFarland, wk = F​
Description​
Too many black silky roosters; If you plan to eat, don't bother replying as that is their fate here. But if you want for a pet, you must pick up in the next couple of days or they'll be in the soup pot. They're so small, it's almost not worth the effort. But they are darn cute, and yes, they do crow. 1 year old​

Fingers crossed someone can rescue them!
Thanks.
Elaine

Hi Wisconsin chicken heads! I'm new to the forum - mostly because I had a science experiment gone wild. I now have way too many roosters. Some are already in the stew pot, but I have 5 silkie roosters (black) who will end up there as well unless someone needs an adorable silkie rooster. I'm hoping to get a female and keep at least one of the 5 males. If anyone wants one for "stud", I live near Madison (4 miles east of McFarland). Otherwise, I'll be using my spring break to make more soup!
welcome-byc.gif
and to the Cheesehead thread! Hope you like it here and visit often.
smile.png
I hope you can find good homes for your boys.

Good morning everyone! Looking forward to the "warmer" day s for sure!
We have 3 wild turkeys hanging out in one of the 40's here and DH says. "maybe we should get one to raise up for Thanksgiving?" So..... does anyone have any turkey eggs or turkey chicks for sale? Also- when do I start if I want to eat him for Thanksgiving?
Thanks guys and have a good day!
Now would be great time to hatch out some turkey eggs! Ann usually has some midgets.
Hi Wisconsin chicken heads! I'm new to the forum - mostly because I had a science experiment gone wild. I now have way too many roosters. Some are already in the stew pot, but I have 5 silkie roosters (black) who will end up there as well unless someone needs an adorable silkie rooster. I'm hoping to get a female and keep at least one of the 5 males. If anyone wants one for "stud", I live near Madison (4 miles east of McFarland). Otherwise, I'll be using my spring break to make more soup!
Welcome to the group and good luck finding homes for your silkies.
Funny stuff

Just wanted to pop in a share my new babies. I still have one in the incubator with an unhealed naval but it seems spunky, I just didnt want to put it in the brooder with the other so they dont pick at it. I do have 2 chicken eggs in there that I candled this morning and there is still movement in them, hhmmm. I believe this is day 22 for them. Anywho is here the 3 in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom