Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hi All!

Amyb....Happy Anniversary!

Judge... FIL in bedroom anytime is creepy.

amber... at least you got the critter quick!

Bl4... Nice PIcs! I've only gone a few hundred miles pass the Missip!

cs.... Congrats on the closing!!!

Jim... Nice truss
wink.png

Amya....Young turkeys can pick up "blackhead" from chickens in their first 13 weeks.

BigZ... allot going on since we got back so I thew the tounge in the freezer.. funny you should ask about it because I just pulled it out for later this week.

DrH.... Sure hope that big cat stays away!

Young son went fishing in his secret spot again. Brought back 6 nice bass and 5 sunfish. Got them cleaned up and it's Bass on the grill for Tue (toady)!

The BLRW chicks I got from Delish tried to roost with the "big girls" tonight... got chased off when I went to close up. hope they got back on! One of Storkey's kids defended the flock this after noon! It chased off a sparrow!

That's it.... Night All!

Before I run off to work, I'll post a few more pics..... and I will TRY not to post 26 at a crack!

The 9/11 memorial at Crazy Horse

Black Hills Bison

Devil's Tower as the sun was setting.... so all the light is on the other side....

One of the many oil wells we saw

View from out campground in Sheridan WY, those are the Big Horn Mts.

Nice view!

The nasty twisty road to get up here.

This is comforting......

The Rockies on ahead....

Heart Mt outside of Cody WY.

I'll post Yellowstone pics later.

Everyone have a great day!

Beautiful pictures! Love seeing them.
Terri guess we were making similar trips yesterday. Now I need to look at how to plant the sweet potato slips and get them in today. At least it is nice and cool.

I have done this a few times and it works for the first 3 -4 days after they hatch. She will check them all over, including for pastey butt. If she feels they are viable, she will call them in under or push them under a wing.

don't freakout right away about how she treats them.

JJ

Thanks for the info, I wasn't worried about the hen accepting them as much as I was about the chick itself acclimating itself to a hen, being it was hatched in an incubator... 3-4 day leeway is great, I was thinking I would have to put the chick under the hen hours after it hatched.

Amberflea

PS what happens if the hen finds a Pastey Butt on any of them????

Thanks for the info, I wasn't worried about the hen accepting them as much as I was about the chick itself acclimating itself to a hen, being it was hatched in an incubator... 3-4 day leeway is great, I was thinking I would have to put the chick under the hen hours after it hatched.

Amberflea

PS what happens if the hen finds a Pastey Butt on any of them????
She pecks it off! It looks for all the world like she is attacking them.

The chicks are programmed to find a wing or butt to get under to stay warm even after the 3 days.

something about 4day old chicks makes the hen chase them off. I have read that they are worried for the chicks/eggs they have and a confrontation with the real mother of a strange chick they adopt.

Like many things with chickens I have to say GOK(God Only Knows)

JJ

I put the ducklings out this morning in the baby pool brooder. Just a tiny bit of water in one end. Within 5 min, the bantams were layings on their backs, acting like they couldn't get up. So my baby ducks didn't drown the other day. They got hypothermia and died. So I had to take the half frozen bantams to the basement and put them under the heat lamp. Now they're all warmed up, they're peeping up a storm because the other ducklings aren't with them. Lesson learned. Baby bantams= very sensitive to cold water.

For those of you wondering... The cocci is pretty much over. The youngest chicks were the ones who took the hardest hit with the cocci. I havent been feeding them medicated feed since they were in the main coop with the big birds. I lost 18-19. Some tough lessons learned. I'm happy to have left what I have. A strong immune system in those ones. Miss Deli and her Joe are going to drive up and see me Friday. She's going to help me make sure I've got everything cleaned up and sanitized. Take a look at my set up and see where any hidden problems may lie. Joe may fix up something (since Vicki says he's good with his hands... I did NOT ask for her to elaborate ;) ) In case you didn't know, it's about 2.5 hrs from Deli to me. I think it's incredibly kind for them to make the trip! Whether you feel I brought cocci on myself or not, it still sucks to watch most of your new flock die. I greatly appreciate all knowledge Vicki can impart to me to prevent this from happening again!

Oh, and I have 3 silly broodies who Vicki may bring some eggs for. At least give those goofballs a reason to chitter and screech at me. They've got no eggs right now but refuse to take the hint!

I better go get ready. I take my oldest to get braces today. Yikes! Our first experience with this. So strange. I remember mine like yesterday. How is it possible I have a child of my own getting them????

Just checking in before I head to the garden...yes I am glad it is cool today too Kristip...sweets need to go in! I tilled up the new plot last night and picked weeds and grass out of it until the mosquitoes started biting. I need to finish it today...

I think the hen picks it off AFlea. Not sure though cause I havent done that fostering thing. Every time I have tried it didnt seem to work that great. Of course it was with ducks and they are something all together different! Maybe they need to wake up under the hen!

OK--gotta run, much to do today! Have a goood one! TerriO

Great pics Mellie! Someday I will go there....

Back
Top Bottom