Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Vicki... where do you get your citric acid. The last place I found it was whole foods, which is a drive for me, so thought I would check.
Actually would like to hear from all of you experts- where do you get the best deals and finds on canning supplies like canning salt and pickling spices and lids etc. Gong to be doing pickles all day Friday.

Need to get a picture up but I finished my mini barn quilt and think it looks pretty good. Was going to add a chicken to the middle of it, but not 100% possitive on that. We wanted to get it up for the party so we will see if I add that later. Maybe.

Kids survived the first day of school, although ds had a bloody nose and had to go to the spare shirt already and dd tossed her ice pack from lunch box in garbage.... sigh. They are having fun though and like their teacher so that helps.

ok off to work again
Hi Kristi!
frow.gif
I get just about all my canning supplies at Fleet Farm. At least up here because they carry EVERYTHING at good prices. As for the citric acid, just bought a bottle big enough to do 50 quarts at FF and paid $2.99. Up here anyway, FF carries all the stuff that everyone else doesn't like all the Mrs. Wages spices etc. Walmart has some stuff but I find their jars, etc. are no cheaper than FF's. BTW~I use the Mrs. Wage's packets for my dills. Lazy I know, but we like the flavor. Wrote them I nice comment on their FB page and they sent me a whole box of free goodies!!! Just sayin'
wink.png

TO~that's why I use the citric acid.
thumbsup.gif
No problem then with "add-ins" as long as you don't get carried away. If you call the extension, they will tell you the exact increase you need. That's how I got my ratios, just sayin'.

Dr. HaHa~
celebrate.gif
Kill them cukes!
lau.gif
Careful yellin' into the phone when you have the VA on the line. Might have some really nice, but very big guys, dressed in white paying you a visit.......
ep.gif

I have a huge pot (like an entire large stew pot) of cooked down and strained sauce that will be ready to be canned as soon as it cooks down a teeny bit more then I am done for the year TOO!
cool.png
Oops, well, that is if the abandoned apple orchard we are allowed to pick in doesn't have apples this year.

Last edited:
afternoon here
frow.gif
, sitting and doing paper work(trying to catch up is more like it)
he.gif

Our peacock- Gadget is sounding off- usually when something is out of place in the yard- looked out to see 7 turkeys about 300 to 400 ft away from the house hanging out by the creek bank.

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
to those who have pets no feeling/doing well- it is never easy, we've been down the same road the last couple of years- it's even hard with the foster dogs who are only with us on a temp basis.

Dinner can be a challenge! We do things like-
tator tot casserole
tacos one night and then bake potato bar the next to use the toppings
eggs for dinner- why not!
make bigger meals on the weekend and have some left overs
have fruit and veggies on hand to add

this summer and now fall we are running all directions especially with the older 2 starting sports- DD have volleyball practice after school and than later soccer practice, DS(10) has soccer at the same time DD has it- but in 2 different places-thankfully only a couple miles apart.

froze some of the tomatoes last night and will be doing more until we have a enough for a batch of something
lau.gif

looks nice outside-enjoy the day!

BF4Me... it tough coming up with ideas for meals and my hubby does not ever offer suggestions... depending what I have on hand, these are my go to meals:

homeade pizza ( when I make pizza dough I make a double or triple batch and toss in freezer)
pork chops ( on grill with A1 sauce or the german way with breading and mashed potato and gravy)
make your own salad night
burgers or salisbury steak which is burgers with gravy
chicken pot pie
grilled bbq chix
stroganough

ok I have some chicken for tonight... what should I do with it?
Pickle making tips needed... doing it late and I was on vacation when others were pickling...
we get our supplies from Menards for the most part- seems resonably priced

You better get the laundry done if the boys have to share one sock.
tongue.png
yuckyuck.gif
that cost me a big mouthful of iced tea,,,,,,,,

canning here I always use a touch of vinegar or lemon juice in each jar for the acid,,,whichever is in reach,,,,I have a good friend here that teaches the extension canning classes, I think she is dubbed a "Master Canner" we always have discussions about the safety factors involved,,,old vrs new and survival of the species

bbl with my pic for egg of the week submission

Got the call this morning that the bushel of tomatoes I ordered from the Amish farmer is ready to be picked up! I was number 34 on their list!

Checked over my canning supplies and picked up a few more lids at Walmart during my grocery run today. They also have the Ball brand citric acid there by the canning stuff. $2.97 a bottle and it says it there is enough or up to 77 quarts of tomatoes in it! So I know what I"ll be doing tomorrow!!

Casiewhoishaulingjarsupfromthebasementtoday

Vicki... where do you get your citric acid. The last place I found it was whole foods, which is a drive for me, so thought I would check.
Actually would like to hear from all of you experts- where do you get the best deals and finds on canning supplies like canning salt and pickling spices and lids etc. Gong to be doing pickles all day Friday.

-------------------------------------------------------
Hi! I just bought 5 lbs. of citric acid from http://www.dairyconnection.com as they are really close to me and I could go there & pick it up and avoid S&H. The 5 lb. price ($17.19) was so much better than the 1 lb. price ($7.94) and has through next summer before it begins degrading slightly the older it gets... I could sell off up to 2 lbs. at the 5 lb. price per lb.+ tax if anyone's interested. P/U is on the East side of Madison by Farm & Fleet on Stoughton Rd. (Hwy. 51) I like to get my spices from Penzy's - more expensive than grocery store prices (if you buy the bag quantity & not the bottles) and I don't mind paying it because the freshness and quality is so great. I personally don't use the premade mixes because I don't want all the additives but I know people who use them that swear by them!! Hope you get all your pickling done on Friday as planned.

Before I forget, Shopko's perennials are still $4.99 as of today...

Went to a vineyard yesterday and picked over 50 lbs. of 4 types of grapes in 90 degree heat - not the wisest choice but they're only open Tues., Sat. & Sun. and I wanted to have the grapes on hand for cooler weather this week. Plan to make concord jam, sorbet, juice and maybe a pie (although the pies might be from my next pick); 8 lbs. of 2 types of grapes are in the dehydrator making raisins and 20 lbs. of another type was for hubby to make another batch of wine.... Also bought a gallon of goat's milk and am going to try to make some mozzarella & maybe some yogurt... we'll see. It's still almost too hot to do much today - should probably go get in some shorts and a tank top!

Enjoy the day!
Elaine

Thanks Elaine... do you have a good sorbet receipt... that sounds wonderful and I have my grapes ready to pick too... dont think that will get done until next week though. Kids have 3 parties to attend this weekend. Never ending birthday season

yuckyuck.gif
that cost me a big mouthful of iced tea,,,,,,,,

canning here I always use a touch of vinegar or lemon juice in each jar for the acid,,,whichever is in reach,,,,I have a good friend here that teaches the extension canning classes, I think she is dubbed a "Master Canner" we always have discussions about the safety factors involved,,,old vrs new and survival of the species

bbl with my pic for egg of the week submission
never drink and read it equals a clean up
lau.gif

I had someone get mad and snotty with me for not re using the lids again- this person claimed that it would be just fine
ep.gif
I think not ! Told them I'm not willing to take that chance and for the price of lids, I'll by new!

OOOh Elaine...sound like you will be busy with the grapes! MMM! I did spiced wild grape jam one year and it was so delicious! I dont know if there are a lot of them this year though...the ones on my porch seem to be a bit dried up. Hey, who needs a dehydrator? Just pick 'em off the vine that way! LOL!
H&R--I also read that you could reuse the lids once...yeah, half my batch of whatever I was canning didnt seal...certainly NOT worth it! I am with you--buy new and have everything seal like it is supposed to! I bought lids from Gardener's Supply and had lids forever it seemed! I am thinking that they might not be in business any longer though; last time I looked for them I did not find the Co. :(
OK I have a list of "go to" recipes for dinner too...not having one of them tonight though. Tonight it is ring bologna (neighbor's beef) with sauerkraut and garden potatoes. Added some sweet potatoes for fun and tomatoes with EVOO and fresh basil on the side....so yummy!
Last night was sweet and sour supper--rice, hamburger, mushrooms and G. pepper with a S&S sauce poured over. (one of DS23's fave recipes)
ok--old standbys: baked chicken with M potatoes and gravy, steaks with baked potatoes, stir fry with garden veggies, tacos, spaghetti, omelettes, scrambled eggs and potato pancakes, chicken with barley and pecans (that I cant eat any more :() pot roast, hamburger and noodle casserole.
OH there are so many more!!!!!! I dont really have too much trouble thinking of stuff to make...the kids have always eaten what is on the table so fussiness was never an issue. Now they just want me to cook SOMETHING!
lau.gif
I love to try new stuff and have found a few new loves while search GF cookbooks! Just grab some meat, some veggies and a starch and go crazy--that is my advice! (for what it's worth)

OK dinner is starting to smell really good....I will have you know that I lost Not iced tea but rum and Vanilla coke when I read that comment! Thanks a BUNCH!!! LOL!

Later all---TerriOthinkingaboutgoingoutforarideaftersupper

Back
Top Bottom