Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hi, I am from Jefferson County in WI (of course). We started raising pheasants, chuckars, and meat chickens 2 years ago. We also have a few egg laying chickens, turkeys, and meat ducks. That is all my husband. I, on the otherhand, like pretty chickens that can just roam around the yard and currently have one cochin, one porclein mille fleur (I think), and a cayuga duck. I am looking to find either silkies or cochins to hatch out pheasant eggs in spring but am having a hard time of it. If anyone has eggs, chicks, or birds I would be interested. Thanks in advance.

DSCF4884.jpg

So here are the d'uccle that Carol and I got last week. Still in quarantine at her house and I cant wait for them to move on over to my coop! The lavender and the red mille fluer are the roosters. The black mottled is the beautiful 2year old hen and the three on the left are the juveniles about 3 months of age. Ok off to make pickles!
I don't see the pic? (And would love to see what they look like?)

CC: Can't wait to hear what turns out with your Orp color mixes.

I am still debating whether I want to raise Faverolles next yr or not. With my attachment issues Im afraid it would be difficult....maybe take pre orders to hatch? That would also mean I would have to get rid of my current roo(s) :-(. Anyone else have much expereince with faverolles? I Know BBP has a few-anyone else?

Annie beat me to the draw.. she is going grocery shopping..

Cassie, what processor did your turkeys ? Mekong? what do they charge ? You could have come over and borrowed my feather plucker and done them yourself..

There are gray and red squirrels in that part of the woods.. the apples were about 2 1/2 inches in diameter..

...........jiminwisc..........

Hey everyone, Its raining here too this am, and pretty cool at 60, but I'll take it over 90 any day, I have lots of sweatshirts....... problem with heat is you can only remove so many cloths b4 ya get arrested...... and when its cold who cares how many extras ya throw on......
I'm still very sad about my baby Bugs, I miss him so much every time I have to pee, I start crying again because he isn't there, looking for a neck rub and waiting for me to go do something like throw his favorite toy his flat ducky with little squeakers, I barried him with it plus his favorite outside chewy long squeaky dog toy., his blanky and some flowers out of my garden. He will surely be missed for a very long time I'm afraid, everywhere I look is a memory. :hit :hit :hit
Thank you all for your hugs and sympathy, I wish I could say they are helping but nothing is, even the strong shoulder and support of my hubby is doing little to ease my bleeding heart, but your thoughts are very much appreciated and will not be forgotten. I should be happy I'm coming home with 2 new puppies from Jims , but even that is not helping, I almost don't want to take them now because I'm afraid they will sense my sadness, and not get the attention they deserve. Puppies are very impressionable at 4 months old, and need constant guidance, hopefully they will keep me so busy I don't have time to cry.

KristiP......... beautiful birds those are, I would suggest as stated QT them again once they get to your house, because some flocks have been exposed to things and some have not? ya never know whats just across the street could be a new Bug that your chickies haven't come in contact with or they could have 1 your flock hasn't had and make each other sick. So I would at the very least QT them 2 more weeks at your place 30 days would be better. Better safe than sorry and loose them all............
Hoping BigZ has his bear and isn't cleaning out a carcass in this wet yucky weather.

TerriO go for it with the restaurant, I say, just don't go so far over board in this economy that it hurts you in the long run, you can always upgrade/expand later if everything goes well, ppl make the mistake of getting in over there head right at the start, and they have trouble soon after, if ya plan it out for a future and think ahead you will much better off in the long run..........

CC...... hope that foot isn't broken, it would be a shame you couldn't go on that woodland adventure you all were talking about a couple weeks ago.........:D

Sorry if I missed anyone..........., I been reading, but not everything is getting through............... Have a good weekend everyone..........Kim

Ok gonna post a few pictures of my Bugs so everyone can see what a wonderful little boy he was

Last edited:
Annie beat me to the draw.. she is going grocery shopping..

Cassie, what processor did your turkeys ? Mekong? what do they charge ? You could have come over and borrowed my feather plucker and done them yourself..

There are gray and red squirrels in that part of the woods.. the apples were about 2 1/2 inches in diameter..

...........jiminwisc..........
Yes we use Mekong. I think it's $8 for turkeys, will find out tomorrow when I pick them up. Thanks for the offer but I have tried talking DH into doing the processing ourselves and he doesn't want anything to do with it. Had to do it too many times as a kid I guess. We have taken our broilers there going on 3 years now and they do a great job. I like getting them back all bagged up and frozen. I just have to remember to tell them not the give me back the feet!
sickbyc.gif
I think they are happy to have them anyway!

Cassie D I've been Tuttles more times than I can remember. Hated when Romano's took it over and changed it all. Small world. Yup I'm on the other side of the river about 2-3 miles outside of town. GR65 Have to agree there are so many times during the day that remind one of the loss. Still drizzling here, good thing cause I quit watering the garden. Oh CC that was really dumb!
lau.gif
hugs.gif
frow.gif
goldNgreen someone near you should be able to help you out. Better get the dishes done.

Quote:
yeah, I have taken chickens there in the past.. it has been a few years, since.. they were charging $5 for turkeys back then.. and they did not bag anything.. You had to bring your own coolers to haul them back home.. then bag and freeze them yourself..

we never kept the feet either..you are right on, the crowd that hangs out down there are happy to snatch up the feet and any other spare parts.. lots of people on here boil the feet to make stock.. I am satisfied with boiling the backs for that purpose..

Nephew is here to watch Gramma,, I am heading into town for a bit..

bbl..

Hey All!
Welcome new folks!!
welcome-byc.gif

I feel like poop today. I got more hay yesterday from my new hay guy and I was up late (issues with sleeping), and saw that there was rain due at 4 am.
I have all my tarps at the barn so I had to improvise (see I didn't unload 800 pounds of hay last night it was still on my truck). Where we live, our land lords
use part of an old machine/equipment shed near our house for the hay equipment. It is at their house so that part is not being used.
I got the truck started and backed it into the shed so the hay would stay dry.
I was going to go up and try for the van again today up at Apyls, but since I feel all glucky... I didn't.

TO- I would see if I could rent out just the kitchen, the problem is probably going to be inspectors, electric bills and having it all clean for
them all the time.. oh.. and I am sure your cats would find a way to follow you to the resturant and lay upon the counters, just because they could!!

Whoever is stealing the apples needs to have their hands cut off. I would put a couple of mouse traps in, either UNDER the basket (if they are stealing
the baskets too) OR under an apple just on the top of the basket. AND get a trail camera to take their pics!

Me... (lurk lurk lurk)

Rainy Fish Fry Friday To All.....thanks for all the good lucks and thoughts sent my way! My daughter was sitting next to me with her camera...she took some nice pics and a short video of the harvest...yep, another chance for me to thank the Creator for a great hunt! Bear showed up at 5pm yesterday afternoon back in the brush...about 45 minutes came close for pics and the well placed shot....not a huge bear, but a nice one..will have a rug made this time and the meat is at the butcher for sausage...kept the loins and the roasts....I agree bbp...wild is so much better and healthier.
It was alot of work for sure...worth it to me though...My daughter Angie has the camera with pics...I'll try to share some in the future.

I drive 100 miles to hunt, and the neighbors only 2 miles from here, shot one that dressed 487 lbs....I saw it...talk about a monster bear.

Sorry about Bugsy ghost....those pics really remind me and suzie of our long gone jill....called her jillsin girls....she was our best house dog out of many....hard to beat a boxer.

Good to hear how excited you are about the extra football games TO! Suzie wishes we were closer, she would love to do the restaurant thing with you....the world needs more family style food places. We use to have them around here when I was younger...different specials every day that were family style delicious. Me and Derek could hold down the bar.....LOL, actually LMAO!

Raining hard here today....have to run to shawano...Angie left her purse in my truck....I'll meet her half way and maybe go out for fish...haven't done that in a long time...maybe celebrate the harvest that way.

That's terrible about the apple thief frenchie...some close by I'm thinkin....don't know if I have good beans left or not...if I do, I'll let you know...winding down now....

I hope you get the tractor fired up before the snow flies Jim....just kidding...I know you will.

Later...bigz

Back
Top Bottom