You know you love your chickens when...

When you sew hen saddles, you make them different sizes for different hens, and try to pick fabric that will compliment their feathers and their personality.

When your chicken first aide kit is better than your own first aide kit, partially because you raided your own to make the chickens' kit.
Haven't made hen saddles but Totally identify with second statement!
lau.gif

Ruffles was one of the first chickens we ever had. At some point she started to get a mild case of bumblefoot. We were panicked. We knew we weren't mentally prepared to cut it out ourselves, but we also knew if left alone it would get worse. We could see it was slowing her down & making her a little miserable so we started researching other options & eventually found the CrazyK website. They have poly urethane (think wet suit) shoes for chickens. Apparently most people buy just one shoe for whichever foot has trouble, but can you imagine walking around everyday with only one shoe on? We ordered both shoes. Long story short, these shoes gave her a new lease on life. She would stand up so tall & stick her foot out to 'show' everybody. The kids would all tell her what pretty shoes she had & we eventually started calling her Boots instead of Ruffles. Holy Cow were the other hens jealous! I am not at all kidding about this -- The other hens were crazy-jealous over those shoes. We'd take them off her during the hottest parts of the summer & still they would wear out about twice a year & we'd have to buy her a new pair. This went on for a few years until she got old & we finally lost her. We buried her in her boots.
love.gif

What a great story. I'm sorry you lost her. My DW laughed and then teared up when you buried her in her boots. We do love our chicken friends so much. Thanks for sharing your story.

When your chicken first aide kit is better than your own first aide kit, partially because you raided your own to make the chickens' kit.
Too true. I went out and bought things that had been recommended on here and for my bunnies to have on hand. I bought "stuff" at the chemist.

True story. The other day, I cut my finger with the kitchen knife and raided the animals' first aid kit to dress it because all the good "stuff" was in "their" kit. Otherwise, I would have been using makeup pads and bandaids.

What a great story. I'm sorry you lost her. My DW laughed and then teared up when you buried her in her boots. We do love our chicken friends so much. Thanks for sharing your story.

Thanks. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make it sad. On a more positive note, she was old & outlived all of the flock mates she'd been hatched with. I'm pretty sure it was the magic shoes that kept her going for so long. She was a very special hen, but of course all of them are in their own unique ways. Even the couple rotten, holy terrors we've had over the years have kept us laughing hysterically & on our toes. I have a Welsumer right now that sometimes acts like a feral animal. I'm pretty sure she thinks she's a dinosaur. So many funny personalities!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom