Your top 5 breeds for temperament

X3 on Brahmas they are great, have them in my mixed flock and even my roo is a gentleman. I also like Orpingtons. I too would not necessarily recommend Wyandottes...lovely great layers but mine do not like to be touched...lol. They are not mean just not a lovey dovey breed, IMO.
My slw shrieks when we try to pet her

I would not recommend Rhode Island Reds, besides that they are good layers. SS are super sweet and pretty good layers also mine are not too broody. My BO are very broody, but not mean. We can hold all four of our SS.

Attachments

• IMG_7904.JPG
    IMG_7904.JPG
    414.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8021.JPG
    IMG_8021.JPG
    548.9 KB · Views: 11
My favorites thus far have been my blue copper Marans and my barred rock. Both of them were/are love bugs and will sit with me in my chair in the evenings. My GLW doesn't like to be touched and my EE is extremely flighty. My others are still young, but the crested legbars are the most social to me so far.

In the spring I plan to get a Speckled Sussex, another Marans and one more, so I'm reading this with interest. Seems like Orpingtons are popular.

My favorites thus far have been my blue copper Marans and my barred rock. Both of them were/are love bugs and will sit with me in my chair in the evenings. My GLW doesn't like to be touched and my EE is extremely flighty. My others are still young, but the crested legbars are the most social to me so far.

In the spring I plan to get a Speckled Sussex, another Marans and one more, so I'm reading this with interest. Seems like Orpingtons are popular.[/QUOTE

My Mottled Houdan hens are some of the friendliest most personable birds I have ever had. They are like little puppies crowding around your feet and trying to trip you when you go in their pen. Very talkative and personable. I raise them and have 3 different bloodlines of them that are not related and all have basically the same personable nature. Now the roosters are another story. Some of the meanest breed of roosters I have ever had but the hens are completely the opposite. Lol.
Also the old fashioned heritage rhode island reds ( not hatchery reds) are very pleasent mellow tempered birds, even the Roos are mellow.

My Mottled Houdan hens are some of the friendliest most personable birds I have ever had. They are like little puppies crowding around your feet and trying to trip you when you go in their pen. Very talkative and personable. I raise them and have 3 different bloodlines of them that are not related and all have basically the same personable nature. Now the roosters are another story. Some of the meanest breed of roosters I have ever had but the hens are completely the opposite. Lol.
Also the old fashioned heritage rhode island reds ( not hatchery reds) are very pleasent mellow tempered birds, even the Roos are mellow.
The Houdans are generally very good layers as well. The heritage reds are generally good layers also although not quite as good as the houdans.

I'm raising a splash marans from MPC right now and she's very calm, downright lazy even compared to the standard cochin chicks. Which are also very nice mellow birds. There are buff Brahma in this bunch too, very active in comparison. Three Faverolles from them as well. Extremely timid birds although the cockerel can be quite snotty occasionally.

Buff orpingtons are well mannered and friendly chickens. Australorps are also a very docile breed. My two ISA browns are sweet little hens. Barred Rocks are also a very good breed, but the ones I've had proved to be very bossy gals. My faverolle rooster is very sweet and friendly and takes good care of his hens.

Looking to make a flock of dual purpose laying hens with a Faverolle rooster, and having small kids, temperament is key. Want decent to excellent layers, no opposition to any egg colors. Given availability, I may not be able to get the exact mix I want, so I want to have other varieties in mind. I want as wide a variety as possible in my flock of 8. Ordering day old chicks from MPC.

Top contenders:
Orpingtons (Buff and Lavender)
Faverolle
Speckled Sussex
Marans (Splash)
Wyandotte (SL or BLR)

Silver-gray Dorking
Mottled Java
Sussex
Orpington
Faverolles

Back