Aggressive Chicken Taken Into Custody in IL

CodyChristine

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
Belle Plaine, MN
I found this story in our local newspaper - now they're arresting chickens!!
gig.gif
lau.gif

http://wcco.com/watercooler/rooster.aggressive.water.2.856280.html

Ill. Police Take Aggressive Rooster Into Custody
BENTON, Ill. (AP) ¯ A rooster played chicken in the wrong town. That's the word from the downstate community of Benton, Illinois, where police took a rooster into custody after it allegedly confronted a woman and her child. Police Chief Mike O'Neill said the rooster has been bothering people lately, trying to keep them from getting where they want to go.

O'Neill said officers had enough on Monday and took the rooster into custody after what he described as a brief scuffle.

Nobody was injured and the rooster was thrown in an enclosed area near the police department. There, it lived on chicken feed and water until police located the owner.

Chickens aren't allowed to live in Benton and the rooster was turned over to the owner only after he promised to find it a new home in the country.

I just popped in here to share this story. I thought the part where there was "a brief scuffle" was hilarious! I live in a small town and I can just picture the police here trying to catch a rooster. I'd pay to see it.
lol.png

Quote:
"ALLEGEDLY" confronted a woman and her child ....
lau.gif

gig.gif
Well on the bright side, they didn't charge the rooster with a crime. Or throw him in jail, do you KNOW what happens to roosters in jail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
We had a coop fire years ago, the coop was totally engulfed in flames. The run door was very close to the coop. I was desperately trying to break thru the back of the pen to get the chickens out, and they were insisting on hanging out close to the coop.
The dispatcher asked something over the radio, and the cop said, in a totally serious voice " The occupants are refusing to leave". As I was crawling in the run rescuing chickens, I had to stop for a second to laugh at that.
The newspaper article was totally hilarious, too. Just they way they wrote it. The reporter had asked me if I knew how the fire started, and I said " Well, I don't think they were smoking"
She actually included that in the article.

I can imagine the police officer.. " hey buddy, you don't want to add resisting arrest to your charges."
And he was in solitary confinement, and only got chicken feed and water? Sheesh, prisoners get fed better than that. I think that might be cruel and unusual punishment. That rooster should sue!

Back
Top Bottom