brother/sister mating ok?

fivestring

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Nashville Georgia
I am wondering about who should mate with who.

I have a handful of RIRs, for instance. If I wanted to hatch out more reds, would the eggs from a bro/sis be good ones? Or do I need to go looking for a different bloodline roo, etc?

I used the RIR for an example. I would like to know about (in)breeding for various breeds, BR, BO, Polish, etc...

I would look for a different blood line. I have heard that brother/sister mating could bring out recessive genes with a higher chance of getting health problems and/or deformities. JMHO

Quote:
While that's generally true, chickens are a bit of an exception. They have been so heavily inbred for desired characteristics they don't often carry a large number of lethal recessive mutations. I too was concerned and then MissPrissy explained Line Breeding. Basically breeding birds and then breeding the "father" to the daughters.. then the grand daughters and so on. Yes you have problems and you need to cull ruthlessly but it can be done. In the end you can have a flock of birds that all look the same and breed true.

If it were me and it will be soon. Id' do exactly what HorseJody suggested. Get hen or cock from another line and you will have far fewer problems.

Thanks for the info, folks.

I have cockerals and pullets of Reds and Barred Rocks. I wanted to be sure I was thinking right about selling off all the roos and finding other ones elsewhere when I want chicks. They are both common breeds and easy to find so it isn't a big deal to replace them. But if I could, I would have preferred to keep my known healthy stock.

Welll... Why sell, Buy new chicks or eggs. Put your your Hens with new Cocks (and New hens with your cocks). Bam! 2 lines.... You could then breed more across the lines. Hens from line 1 with cocks from line 2 etc. Just a matter of how big you want the operation to be.

It is always a good idea to eventually get new blood in your coop though.

Brother/sister mating varies by state.
roll.png

OK, but seriously, you ay consider crossing a Barred Rock with a RIR.
We have a few and they are BIG, healthy and great layers.

here again is a thread that was hashed out three days ago and answered by a very knowldgeable person..

I have said it before, and I am about to repeat myself.. I do not give any credance to "I heard or I read" type of testamonials.. If you have first hand experience, I will not dispute your theory..

you cannot imagine how much wrong advice is given out and perpetuated by what I call hearsay and opinion without experience..

Quote:
Would my degree in Molecular Genetics and 20 years research experience be at all helpful?

God knows you can't learn ANYTHING from reading or talking to more experienced people. How many on BYC have actually line bred birds?

You know
its called line breeding until you get deformities then its called inbreeding!!!

I think that the best way to line breed is to breed mothers and fathers back to thier offspring... sibling breeding seems to bring out deformities faster. (that is what it seems like with rabbits at least) some times it seems like a nessesity to breed siblings to get the desired out come but I would limit it to as few sibling breedings as possible to achieve the desired outcome. My personal oppinion!

also how do you know for sure they are siblings? were the parents all seppareted? meaning were the eggs from a roo and hen in the same cage with NO other hens or roos? cause we know that hens and roos are not monogomus right?

good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom