brother/sister mating ok?

Quote:
Most people that line breed cross offspring back to a parent, grandparent, or a closely related bird (like a cousin). Not many cross siblings too often. If they do they are normally doing so to get a specific look for a show bird and are willing to do a lot of culling. In-breeding depression (aka in-breeding degeneration) can cause problems like reduced fertility, less egg production or less disease resistance. Line breeding can work very well for an experienced person willing to cull. I am sure that Bev Davis is extremely cautious about what she crosses and culls the failures.

Thank you, TJ. I'm sort of back, but very tired. I think when some say linebreeding, they dont refer to brother sister, but mother/grandson, father/daughter, etc. Wynette, do you know if
bev uses brother/sister?

OH, I should have said that in my post - sorry for any confusion. Bev DOES NOT breed bro to sis; she breeds father to daughter to granddaughter...

And - GLAD to see you back, Cyn! Here's hoping you heal quickly and can get back up & running SOON!
big_smile.png

I am not saying this to cause any conflict or to disrespect anyone...
big_smile.png

I have spoken with Bev Davis extensively over the past few months...and yes very respected in the world of Marans...but she does not exclusively line breed. She will bring in other birds if they display the egg color, feathering color, or feathered leg characteristics she is looking for.

Just my input...no disrespect intended!
wink.png

Quote:
Thanks Brian!! That's very helpful!
Christina

Thanks Christina. I have no expierience in this whatsoever. I just thought Id post the link since you all was asking for it. Im curious to know the answer too.
smile.png

OH, I didn't say Bev ONLY linebreeds; I can't say that she does or doesn't, as I don't live near her and have not visited to see firsthand. I am a member of her Marans forum on Yahoo, though, and she has vehemently defended line breeding and stated in her forum that she does not bring outside blood in with her Marans. She has had to do so with some colors, because there was very limited supply of them initially. But from what she has stated in her forum and directly told me, she hasn't done so for years. I'm just stating what she's told me directly and is in her forum; as I said, I don't live near her and do not have firsthand knowledge. NO offense taken whatsoever!
smile.png

Quote:
Would my degree in Molecular Genetics and 20 years research experience be at all helpful?

God knows you can't learn ANYTHING from reading or talking to more experienced people. How many on BYC have actually line bred birds?

I do not know how many people have line bred birds, sorry.. but if they would introduce themselves as someone who does it, I will not dispute their findings..

And you would go about verifying their credentials .. how? How do you think all those "expert" became so knowledgeable? Maybe reading and talking to more experienced individuals?

If I had stated in my first post I had line bred for 20 years... why would you believe that?

Having an extensive background in genetics made me very concerned about inbreeding my birds. So I posted a question. Line Breeding came up and I was lost as to how it worked. It seems to Break all the rules breeders use to keep their animals healthy. Most breeding programs select for a trait but introduce "new blood" often to reduce genetic instability. Chickens ,however, are a different critter. They have for centuries been inbred and culled in favor of certain traits. This alone has reduced but by no means eliminated the possibility that related matings will produce mutated/deformed/ non-viable offspring. That's where line breeding comes in as a tool to reduce the problem. By back crossing Parents to offspring lethal recessive mutations can be identified and eliminated. The resulting birds will be more pure and healthier (in some ways) than before. I don't claim to be an expert in chicken genetics but I have read several peer reviewed scientific articles on line breeding since my first query.

Clay...sounds like you've certainly done your research!

I can't say I believe it works or does not, as I've never inbred or line bred, so I have no experience there. But - whatever you decide to do, I wish you the very best of luck! With your knowledge and all the research you've done, I feel like your flock will more than likely be healthy and happy as a result!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom