Colored Rangers Grow Out Journal/ Video Added pg 11

Harp Turkey Ranch

Songster
11 Years
Dec 18, 2008
McCleary, WA
Well the chicks have all 100 arrived in one piece this morning. Even with all the cold weather and being in a box for 3 days across the US they are all alive. They have traveled the whole length of the US. Went down to the post office this morning with my oldest daughter (8) @ 5:30 am. Some are for her 4H project this year and the rest are for the family and hopefully some costumers. Take pics later to post tired and going back to bed. LOL

Last edited:
wee.gif

Okay here is a pic of the the chicks in the ole' brooder. This one is the 3'x3' model, just right for 100-150 chicks. On the bigger orders we have one that will hold 200-250 which it is 4'x4'.These brooders are great. They hold heat and if using outside you can through shavings on the roof of the brooder (not shown in pic) for insulation. The brooder can be used in freezing weather outside with great success. They are in a shed that is already insulated so the brooder stays about 100 F in the center with just the roof on and about 85-90 F on the outside edges.
famz2s.jpg

This will be our first time with the colored rangers. I was impressed with the way they all went straight for the water. We only dipped about 15-20 in water and the rest just went straight to the water with the rest of them. After about 2 hours I through some food down on the ground in the center and put the two feeders in and man did they just go straight after the food.

And the 2 proud new owners of the chicks.
6dsj0j.jpg

Do those human cuties know the chicks are for meat?
sad.png
I would find it hard to tell kids that their pets are going to be eaten. Or do they know already?

BTW, keep us posted on their (the chicks', not the girls'
big_smile.png
) progress! I hope to get some Rangers someday.

yes, please keep us posted with pics...i want to get some this spring also....when do they go outside...since they only live about 8-10 weeks...this is where i am confused...thanks, Wendy

Quote:
Your daughters are precious. Wow, such cuties!! Do you have a plan for the brooder? I have been using big 'ole tubs, but I really like the way yours in constructed!!
Hugs and good luck!
Christina

Do you have a plan for the brooder

Here is the link to the websiteClick Here about the brooders, also Click Here for another one you use after the wooden one.

when do they go outside...since they only live about 8-10 weeks...this is where i am confused...

I will start their transition outside at about 4-6 weeks, depending on the weather. After they are fully feathered out. They actually live for 10 - 12 weeks, depending on size you want and how they have been taken care of.

Do those human cuties know the chicks are for meat? sad I would find it hard to tell kids that their pets are going to be eaten. Or do they know already?

Yeah they know what will become of them. My oldest daughter will be using a couple for her 4H project. I have never seen one of these types of meat birds in a fair ?? We will see...... Around here on the farm they learn quick that what comes here must go someday. When the chicks die they know why and when they go to the slaughter house they know why. My youngest is a vegetarian at 4 years old, by choice.... I wonder why ????? She has never seen my or any one butchering but she knows. This is just a tease for the girls their pets will be the Delawares that we are getting latter this spring. Them we will keep around for a while.

i want to get some this spring

Well Joel and Marty are great people they own JM Hatchery, where the chicks come from. They have the best customer service that I have experienced from a hatchery ever. If they tell you something you can bet it is the truth.​

Quote:
I talked with Joel for an hour (on his dime). He answered all my dumb questions, told me about his operation, his philosophy. It was a really nice conversation!
I will be so excited to watch as yours grow. Mine will be here April 1st, so you'll be ending as I begin!!!
Thanks Harp!
Christina

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom