To those who did NOT or will not vaccinate

midwife mama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
montana
Please can you share your reasons for choosing NOT to vaccinate, for any or all of the available chicken vaccines? What are your concerns with vaccines?

What has your experience been?

Would you choose to NOT vaccinate again in the future?

I am hoping to collect as much information as I can on the risks of vaccinating AND not vaccinating.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Glad someone asked this question, as when I ordered my chicks , I received conflicting opinions on this subject. Thanks !!
smile.png

i don't vaccinate. i want the healthiest, strongest birds in my flocks.

as per people vaccinating and inoculating when illness/disease occurs, i wont do that either. some diseases can still shed to other birds while the recovered bird is a carrier.

it's not for me.
smile.png

My vet told me that for a small backyard flock it is not needed.
He said to practice good bio-security and you should never have a problem.
I only add day old chicks that I hatch to my flock.

I chose not to vaccinate.

The chances of my small flock becoming sick are slim. Also, I order all my birds straight run, and knew we would be eating the extra roos. I didn't want even the slightest chance of any remnants of vaccines or antibiotics to wind up in my food - if I want meat full of antibiotics, I'll buy it at the grocery store.

Also, like Miss_Jayne, I want a strong flock. It's survival of the fittest for my flock.

I vaccinate and am at a loss for it. I do not know the remedies for many of the inflictions that others post on BYC. It always amazes me some of the conditions that my birds don't get. I do have concerns about necessity of some vaccines and the reliability of some. Last year fowl pox was on the rise; as in chicken pox it is not commonly lethal but preventable. I vaccinate for Mareks and Newcastles. Mareks being the biggest killer among young birds. Newcastle: a lung disease. I had a lady ask why I vaccinate because she didn't want to. She asked what to do if you do not vaccinate or you do not give anti-biotics; I told her to come back and I would sell her some that were vaccinated! She preferred to buy the vaccinated hens. I leave their health in gods hands after they are vaccinated! He is a good farmer.

Back
Top Bottom