sick EE New UPDATE road to recovery

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
The chicken I have been treating for mareks knee joint is swollen and looks bruised on the bottom where it touches the ground because she no longer can stand on that foot. I am now wondering if it has mareks at all or just a leg injury or if it is from leaning on this joint that is causing the swelling and bruising since I did not notice it earlier. I am about to take pics and start researching and yes I have done some searches but not sure my best coarse of action. I was thinking of wrapping it in a poultice of some sort suggestions please, and aspirin for pain and swelling but don't want to do that if there is something better nor do I know the dosage of asprin, I am assuming something like Bayer.

Thanks
smile.png

Last edited:
I don't even know the dose of aspirin though do recall people use baby aspirin. Bayer is just a brand name of aspirin. But this will bump you.

ok so this poor chicken has both Mareks and a leg infection, ugg but still has a will to live and I cant help myself. Her knee was drained and the fluid sent for testing and she is on doxicycline (sp?) which the dr assured me was in the same family as amoxicilian and would not effect her eggs if she lives to reach laying age that is.

Anyway I was just giving her her meds and was thinking she would do better in a sling than struggling to stay upright. But it is so late now and my eyes are closing so I am not thinking too clearly maybe a t shirt with 2 holes cut for legs, but how do I keep it stable so it does not flip like a hammock? anyone have pics I would appreciate it. Off to so a few seaches now I think speckledhen used one for her sweet roo....

Well here is the sling I am not totally happy with it so if anyone has any suggestions please feel free. Look at what a sweet face she has I just cant bring myself to cull her I am gonna see if she improves this week and re-evaluate next week if she does not improve.

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif

Can you please make one for me? Maybe use some bungee cords.
tongue.png

You're an awesome chicken mommy!
love.gif

Last edited:
thanks guys, actually got the idea from other posts but I really dont feel like it is holding her as well as it could. I have been trying to find those older posts that people built them with but have not been very sucessful. If anyone has any suggestions I would sure appreciate it or pics of slings they have made
smile.png

I told her that she now owes me so much money from the vet bill that she better survive to help pay it off
lol.png

Added: Oh I would also be interested to know at what height since I am having a hard time with it, she does not lke to be too suspended and I dont think it is good for her to be to low, is there a "best" height that anyone knows of?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom