sick EE New UPDATE road to recovery

I let this thread go as I did not want to sadden others after trying so hard. But since new life has been brought into it I will update.

One night after my last post sweat pea I guess felt better and wanted to get out of her sling. She had never bothered to try to escape before. It happened while I was sleeping and the next day I found her all twisted with one foot tangled in the sling. She had wrapped it so tight the blood had been cut off and after I freed her I knew she had done more damage then I could repair. I was very upset. Purple chicken had come by to help with my new electric fencing or something and he like a true gentleman put sweat pea out of her misery and buried her in the back of the property. I was to upset to do it myself.

She was a very sweat girl and I still think of her. I do think I learned a lot while carrying for her and maybe some of that knowledge allowed me to save the lav roo that I nursed back to health after 2 months and who now is in his own coop with a flock of his own.

My experiences with Sweat pea and Mareks has also shaped what I do now and how I handle it. I vaccinate all chooks as day olds, and I say I am going to cull those that show symptoms but I have a hard time not trying to fix them. Luckily I haven't had to deal with it for a while...

Back
Top Bottom