Chick w/ broken leg - ideas?

KellyHM

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Lakeland, FL
I have a chick that was born yesterday and came up lame today. I can feel the break, so I know it's leg is actually broken...he's not using the leg at all. I would just splint it, but the break is right under the knee joint. If I splint it I will have to include the joint & I'm afraid the joint will fuse together during healing. Any other ideas?

Quote:
gig.gif

But I agree, I would splint it anyway. Alternative is a flopping leg, worse than a stiff one.

I'd do the whole joint too. That unset break will take longer to heal on top of being VERY painful.

Last edited:
Quote:
Lol, I already have a dog named Skippy!

I think I'm going to splint it, but now I have to figure out with what. I need to leave the joint bent or can't get around at all.

What about using 2 toothpicks crossed and then cutting the ends off after you are done taping? Be sure to tape over the sharp ends and that no sharp ends are poking it either.

What I would do is use some plastic coated clothesline wire. Flexible enough to bend where I want it but stiff enough the chick should not be able to move it. Obviously you'd have to cover the cut ends with something. Then tape it to the leg well.

I've never done this, it is just what came to mind when trying to think of something I could bend to the shape I want, that would not move after it was applied. Unless I could find some little plastic part that was the right shape. Part of a kid's toy maybe???

Back
Top Bottom