Could my chick have Fowlpox?

thewonderer

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 28, 2010
Brisbane
Hi,

I have 3 chicks he in Brisbane Australia. They are about 4 weeks old. One of them started to get a growth on her beak and one side of her eye. I called up the local store i bought it from and spoke to the hatchery person. He said it sounds like fowlpox even though they should have been immunised against this.

I will attach a picture as I would like a second opinion. She is scratching her eye lid and its getting worse. Otherwise, she is in fine health, exactly the same as her sisters. Here is a picture... I can't see how to embed it in this forum.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/47896_dscf1001.jpg

Thanks in advance...

Martin

Last edited:
I don't think that is fowl pox. Whatever it is it is very bad. Can you return the chicks and get your money back?

In the mean time you can dab the growth on her beak with iodine using a Q-tip. The area around her aye is too sensitive for iodine. I would wash it gently with warm water and a cotton ball a few times a day and see what happens. Make sure they get lots of green veggies and chick grit so they can digest them and see what happens. Right now you want to make them as healthy as possible so they can fight whatever this is.

I'ts pox...If they were vaccinated for fowl pox either this chick didn't "take" or i'ts quail or canary pox in which the fowl pox vaccine will offer no immunity...

welcome-byc.gif

Poor chick

hugs.gif

Yes, I would agree that it's pox. I've noticed that in chicks sometimes the lesions look huge and a bit odd like that. At the moment the weather is hot and humid in Brisbane and there are lots of mosquitoes. Pox seems to be a regular occurance about now. Most birds survive it. Unfortunately, chicks seem to have a tougher time with pox than an older bird. They have to tough it out for 3 or 4 weeks to get through it. I would use iodine or Bettadine on the sores. Also keep an eye out for any respiratory symptoms. Dry pox seems to be the most common form, but if it's wet pox they can develop respiratory symptoms and sometimes require antibiotics. If they get lesions down their throat sometimes it's necessary to carefully dislodge the waxy lump to keep their airway clear. I have a couple in quarantine with pox at the moment.

I never thought pox could look so bad! Sorry for the misinformation. My bad. Thanks for also not 'scolding' me. I can say I learned something today.
big_smile.png

Thanks for the heads up.

I am sad that's she got it, and she looks a little worse today. Still, she seems to be moving around OK. Interestingly, when i had her on my hand she didn't get up straight away which is a little worrying, but she was really into rolling around in the soil and moving with her sisters.

It's been about 3 weeks now, so I can only hope she turns the corner soon. I don't want to bring her back, she's part of the family.

Dab the pox with iodine 2 or 3 times a day. Use a new Q-tip for each treatment.

Also get Poly Vi Sol liquid baby vitamins without added iron. Give her 2 drops in the morning and 2 at night to help her fight this. Drop the vitamins on the top/side of her beak so the liquid rolls into her mouth so she can swallow and not inhale.

Feed her extra nutritious foods like greens, pumpkin, black oil sunflower seeds and small amounts of fruit.

boy does she struggle when i put betadine with a q tip. I heard the pox is a viral infection, so I am not sure what i can do for her with betadine.

I put some tape on her nails on the right side as she scratches around her eye and it looks worse (blood)....

I wonder if its possible to get a neck/head cover so she can't scratch her beak and eye. The growth on her nose looks dry and is cracking a bit... I hope that this will end soon.

I have 2 young birds that appear to have pox also. I plan to separate them from the other chick in the morning. On the positive side, at least it doesn't seem fatal to most birds. I was scared earlier reading all the scary disease possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom