4.5 lbs (2 kg) green tomatoes
1 lb (500 g) apples
1 lb (500 g) onions
9 oz (250 g) raisins
1 oz (25g) salt
1 lb (500 g) sugar
1 pint (600 ml) vinegar
Spices of your choice: ginger, pepper, chillies

Finely chop the tomatoes, apples and onions and place all the ingredients into a large pan. Heat gently, stir and simmer until a pulpy consistency is achieved. Place into sterile jars and water bath can. 10 minutes for pints or 20 minutes for quarts.

If there's vinegar in the recipe the acid will be high enough for water bath.

I saw a recipe in mr fav canning book (Ball Complete Book of Home Preservation) that used green tomatoes to make salsa verde. Here's a recipe, though it doesn't seem to be in sufficient canning quantity:
http://mormonfoodstorage.blogspot.com/2008/10/green-tomato-salsa-verde.html

I'll post the recipe from my book after my eyes aren't dialated. The doc used her "strong" stuff and I can't see worth anything.

Quote:
Thanks!!!! I think this is just what I will do with them ~ We love salsa & it goes with sooo many foods ~ plus, lol ~ it puts off the inevitable pressure canner experience ~ lol ~
~Red

I made my first batch of "canned" pickles a couple months back..It was also my first real attempt at pressure canning..

A friend told me that you arent suppose to pressure can pickles..

So..They are still sitting on a shelf in my extra room..
They look fine..They've kept their seal just fine..

I'd love to try them out!
But...are they safe to eat?

I pressure cooked the heck out of em!!
They might be a bit soggy, but there shouldnt be any nasty critters still alive in there
smile.png

I'd really like to try some more canning!
I've got the jars, set the lids aside so they dont get used till I'm ready to do it right..
I got 2 pressure canners cheap off the local flea market list..

Thanks for any input!!

The pickles will be OK to eat but if you really "pressure cooked the heck out of them", there might not be any "heck" left to eat! Pickles don't need to be pressure canned because of the high acidity with the vinegar. They might be really mushy, but you never know! I highly recommend getting a good book on canning. My fav is the "Ball complete book"... I've referenced it several times in this thread.

Here's a general guidline what gets canned in which type of canner. It's not perfect gut it does pretty clearly define what's high (water bath) vs. low (pressure) acid.

Water bath canner: pretty much anything sweet (jams, jellies, pie fillings, fruits, salsas, sauces), pickled, or tomato-based
Pressure canner: pretty much anything savory - veggies (including green beans), meats, soups, beans

Still left to can: sauerkraut & some pineapple. The sauerkraut is probably about 5-6 weeks away so I'm sure I will have emptied a few jars by then.

I've got a pressure canner load (7 quarts) of chicken broth going at this very moment. Once it comes out I will have just 2 empty pint jars and 4 empty quart jars in my entire house! Pretty exciting!! I've been obsessed with filling every jar, after which point I can chill out.

... until I empty a few more jars, that is.

There were more than just cukes in these pickles..
15399_1st_try_at_homemade_pickles.jpg

That white bit is a garlic clove..Rather well cooked..These things bubbled for like an hour after I pulled em out!!

So..Tomorrow I will taste test them
smile.png

I've got apples that need to be ate (or canned as the case may be
wink.png

My roomate bought them for a get together and forgot them..I can't eat them till they are softened up..
I think they would be perfect for my next canning "experiment" hehehe!!!

I will also get that Ball canning book ASAP

Thanks for the help!!
big_smile.png

Apple butter and apple sauce here, today. I have them in the oven on low heat, thickening. It smells heavenly. :0) I can't can enough of this stuff.

I live in New England where apple trees grow everywhere! We'll be making cider next weekend. We have an old manual cider press.

Last week it was pickled beets. Another I can't can enough of- it's one of my favorite things!

I DID IT!!!

Safeway had pineapple for $1.99 each (after discounts & coupons). I got 3 and canned my last 2 quart, last 2 pint, and a final 1/2 pint jars. They're cooling on the countertop this very second.

Every jar in my house has been filled. Every last one in the ENTIRE house has some form of homemade food in it, be in salsa, jam, yogurt, pickles, or any of the other various and sundry things I've worked hard over the past 2 months to put up.

I have officially filled every single jar in my house. I can relax now!!!!!!

wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
WWOOHHOOO!!! ~ Congrats!!! ..................but then, eventually, you are going to have to pop open one of those bottles, eat the contents, clean out the jar & .... oh CRUD ~ ah!! ~ Gasp~ another flippin' jar to fill!! lol lol lol
nahh... I wouldn't let the guilt eat yah till you have at least ... well... maybe FOUUURRRRR jars....lol, lol.
Good Work, Jenn! I know I'm jealous ~ I still have over 48 quart jars to fill, & about 30+ smaller jars.

MY husband is a carver, both chainsaw & chisel, among other things, so every year at our harvest fest, they hire him to do a ~Power Tool Pumpkin Carving Show~. ( No chainsaw on the pumpkins, however.) So once that is done, & all of the pumpkins he can carve are doled out in free-by prizes, we get to take home the leftover pumpkins for ourselves. This year we got SIX!! The thing is, to save time, hubby scoops out the pumkins in advance, so anything not carved has to be cooked immediately.
Yup ~ you can guess what I've been doing all weekend ~ cooking & processing pumpkins....BUT ~ the pumpkin soup certainly was TASTY! And there is a lot more for the freezer.
Unfortunately, I still have a whole counter full of green tomatoes to make into salsa... uugghhhh.

IMG_0210.jpg

That's the pumpkin soup ~

http://ifharvestfest.com/carver.php

This is a link to a few of the pumpkin carvings he has done, on their website.
~Red

Back
Top Bottom