What are you canning now?

After the Mexican Corn was done I put on some Stew Meat. Got 8 pints of corn and 4 quarts of meat. WHEW! I am done for today.
smile.png

All you ladies ( and gents, if any) Keep up the good work. All the pics are beautiful and we get to basically see all the hard work.

Here's a
thumbsup.gif
for ya!

My sister's boyfriend brought me half a dozen jars yesterday, so I might make a small batch of plum jam off of our second tree. I made a dozen jars earlier this year from our other tree and it was great! Either that or pickles, I'm dying to make some! I've never done it before and I love em!

( and gents, if any)

Funny that you posted that 4 minutes before I posted! Im a gent myself, and I do most of the canning on my own. My grandma directs me, but her arthritis keeps her from doing much of the physical work.​

redoak and the OEGBman~~~ I am glad to hear that there are men out there that would take the time (somewhere in their lives) to learn the joy of canning.

There are some young ladies I have talked to about canning, and they say they want nothing to do with it because it requires to much hard work.

I was thinking of starting a small class (out of my home) and invite people to come and learn the joy and satisfaction of canning for your family.

Keep up the hard work GUYS
big_smile.png

I am thinking of buying me another box of jars (they are becoming scarce here) so that I can make some veggie w/ meat soup so we will have it if the power goes out.

That way I don't have to empty a bunch of jars, just one or two.

Quote:
I'm young and I love to can. I started to can a couple years ago (in my late 20's). It seems there is interest (especially in the "age of organic" aisle) just not a lot of time.

WOW ~ what a bunch of hard workers!! It is so pleasing to see so many folks interested in canning & preservation of God's bounty. It is fascinating to me that chickens & self-sufficiency just seem to go hand in hand. Perhaps it's because those chickens make such lovely compost ~additives~, or maybe it's because when someone is interested enough in their food being healthy, it just naturally extends to preserving as much of it as possible.... or maybe it's just that the heady aroma of chicken toodle makes us believe we *CAN* do anything... ;-D

Well, here's my contributions so far ~

IMG_0190_1.jpg

Apple butter & crabapple butter in the back, then crabapple syrup, (which can also be used as a sweet & sour sauce ~), plum jelly, & grape juice, then plum fruit leather in the baggy.

Still to go ~ peaches, cherries, more plums, more crabapples, finish freezing the corn & spaghetti squash, & deciding what to do with the pickling cukes, zuchini, & green tomatoes.

Does anyone know of anything good to do with green tomatoes? Preservation wise, I mean.
~Red

Quote:
I really have nothing but time to be honest!
tongue.png

No one else I know personally is interested in canning at all, besides my grandma of course. She taught me everything I know so far, and I know she has tons more to teach me! Thank you very much.
big_smile.png

Does anyone know of anything good to do with green tomatoes

you can pickle them, just like pickles. Quarter them add Garlic, and dill, add a couple of banana peppers..YUM they need to sit for about 6 weeks before you eat them, but they are really good. I always do that right before the first frost, take all the green ones off the vine and jar em up!

I just put up about 14 quarts of apple slices, they are so good, they taste like the ones at Cracker Barrel..​

Quote:
you can pickle them, just like pickles. Quarter them add Garlic, and dill, add a couple of banana peppers..YUM they need to sit for about 6 weeks before you eat them, but they are really good. I always do that right before the first frost, take all the green ones off the vine and jar em up!

I just put up about 14 quarts of apple slices, they are so good, they taste like the ones at Cracker Barrel..

Thank you ~ do you waterbath them or pressure cook them? My mom used to do pickles like a madwoman, but I have never personally done them on my own yet. This is also my first time using the pressure cooker ~ I'm a little nervous ~ but I have a bazillion (LITERALLY, Aaghhh, last night was our first frost!!) veggies to get preserved, or they will go to waste, so I am just going to suck it up & use the pressure canner. I read the manual, have read a lot of online info ~ now I just hope I don't blow up the canner, break all the jars, or feed my family botulism ~ aghhh...
~Red

Back
Top Bottom