Old-Fashioned Pound Cake

Do you think it would make a huge difference if I use salted butter?? Just went grocery shopping today and I always get salted. Sounds really good and also for all those people on the board who are getting bumper crops of eggs!

Quote:
I've altered the butter types in recipes and am usually happy with the results...you could always omit the 1/2 teaspoon salt, although I think each stick of butter contains 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of salt. I say experiment. I personally like a bit more salt with sweet recipes.

Thanks 3peeps, I will do just that. I know in the past I have just used what I had but was really wondering if it made a difference. I will just leave the salt out and hopefully will get to make it this week.
smile.png

The following recipe, for a 10 Egg Pound Cake (also laughingly refered to as the 10 Pound Egg Cake) has been posted at ezbyc for years and also here, as well. I think that it is pretty much the same recipe except this one uses Crisco instead of butter.

Chel

10 Egg Pound Cake
3 cups sugar
2 cups Crisco shortening
10 eggs
3 cups sifted flour
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup Pet milk (edited to add: Pet is a brand name of evaporated or condensed milk. Dont use "sweetened condensed" milk)
1 tsp rum flavoring
1/2 tsp almond flavoring (optional)

Cream Crisco and sugar together well, then add eggs, beating very well after each. Add salt, flavorings and milk, then flour. Bake in an extra large tube pan that has been floured and greased. Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Check after 1 hour and 45 minutes. Cake is done if knife inserted in center comes out clean.​

I don't do all that much dessert making (and don't have a full-size freezer), but sometimes it's nice to have something like this. So I'm wondering if this recipe could be halved? (As in, making half as much, not making it into two loaves.) Or do all those ingredients actually make a small cake?

I have a ton of eggs today.

I am making this pound cake with lemon flavoring.

I plan to eat a very large piece after supper tonight.

With ice cream.

Anyone want to join me?

I made this a ten egg pound cake just yesterday!!!.....It's the one from the BYZ ezboard site....My family likes when I make a peanutbutter icing to drip over it before serving.....

This recipe can be halved.....or two loaves made I have done that lots of times....

Last edited:
Okay, today's my day for dumb questions: what on earth is a tube pan? I'm a pretty experienced baker and I have no idea what this is. Can I use a bundt pan? My mouth is watering at the sight of this recipe...

Amy

Back
Top Bottom