What are you canning now?

Hi..I can chili every year..I make a very large pot of chili only a little thinner..put in jars and process as for meat (90 min)..I have made veg. beef soup the same way..also made chili w/o meat..they are all great in the winter or for lunch when time is short!!!! TRY IT

I do a long soak with the beans, 12-24 hours, and make the chili but don't cook it. The beans will cook in the pressure canner. Just allow it to be a little more watery because the beans will soak up some juice.

So just follow your recipe, skip the cooking of the beans, just soak 'em. Then pressure can according to whichever ingredient needs the longest canning time. Meat, if added, or veggies, if meatless. (Meatless chili? Ick!)

I waterbath canned for the first time last night, raspberry/pomegranate jam, and it all sealed and jelled! I have done lots and lots of pressure canning, but since we don't eat sweets much and I prefer to freeze strawberries and such, I never waterbath canned.

I wanted to make a jam without sugar or chemical sweetener, so I made a batch with stevia extract. Came out great! Six pints!

I made some very easy strawberry jam Sat. night. Yum! I saw the recipe on Barefoot Contessa and couldn't believe how easy it was! I processed it the next morning..she let it sit and cool overnite...and it is awesome. I cannot wait to get some more strawberries and make some more!
Kim---
Please post your Pineapple all fruit jelly w/out sugar!!
Kelj---please tell us how to dehydrate our herbs?

Quote:
you can dry herbs in the oven!! on the lowest temp with the door slightly ajar to let the moisture out. I don't have a dehydrator, so the oven will have to do for me. I have dried oregano and sage. for the oregano, leave them on the stems, rinse them and dry with a paper towel. for the sage, I pulled all the leaves off the stems and dried them individually. leave them in the oven until crunchy then take them out and let them cool completely before storing them. I hang dry thyme, just tightly tie up a bundle and put it in a paper bag to catch any lose leaves that may fall off. poke a few holes in the bag for ventilation. wait 2 or 3 weeks and viola! dried thyme! and if you dry your own herbs you will use way less than what you would use of store bought. believe me I found this out when I RUINED a whole pot of marinara with WAY TOO MUCH oregano (my own). it was very strong, and I used the same amount that I would have normally used of the store bought stuff.

You know I have a dehydrator but never use the thing!! I will dry some herbs this year for sure! I love using fresh herbs and grow many so this will be great for winter. I always keep a pot of fresh growing basil in my kitchen window, even through winter. I am looking forward to try drying my own for a change THANK YOU

Quote:
Here you go....
Pineapple All Fruit Jelly (No Sugar)
-makes 4 half pints-

4 cups Pineapple Juice
1 pkg No Sugar Pectin (I used Ball Fruit Jell)

Pour pineapple juice into 6-8 qt heavy saucepot. Gradually add pectin, stir well. Add 1/2 tsp butter or margarine to reduce foaming.

Bring to a full rolling boil over heat, stirring constantly. Boil hard, 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Fill hot jars and apply lids. Process in boiling water bath canner 10 minutes.

note: I've also made this with pineapple/orange/banana juice or other combination juices that are store bought. These are a bit sweeter than the plain pineapple.

thank you Kim!! I am wondering if you could use half a green apple (like I used for the pectin in the strawberry jam) in place of the pectin for an all natural jam? Sounds wonderful, I think I would like to use real pineapple, has anyone done it with the real fruit???

Quote:
My dehydrator quickly became too small for this spring's harvest....and on the sister forum, ss, someone suggested using screens in your vehicle, leave a couple of windows open a bit, and park it on a hot day. I did this just by laying some scraps of tulle (cheap if you don't have scraps, you can get a half yard for $1.50 at Joann's even without a coupon!) in some plastic crates and putting them in the back seat of dh's car. Works great! I did a lot of dehydrating, tons of nettles and raspberry leaves for tea, oregano, and catnip. I will do three kinds of mint, lemongrass, lemon balm, pineapple sage, parsley, basil, and who knows what else before the summer is over.

Store your dried harvest in airtight glass jars in a dark drawer or cupboard for flavor and color retention.

Back
Top Bottom