BYC KNITTING CLUB

Pics
I just picked up my knitting again! Making a shawl with big pockets to pick up eggs in! I'll post a pic later!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I recently started knitting. I like you worked for days on a dishcloth. I am improving. Working on a shaw now. I have learned the knit stich and to purl. So hang it there.

Quote:
I started out with Peaches and Creme yarn. Most Walmarts carry this. My first project was a dishcloth. Such a simple pattern. I have seen it call many names but if you will just search for "idiots dishcloth" you will find it. Good luck.

i knit too! i just learned this year (thanks wiki how) i am/was knitting my 3rd monkey for the kids... i also want to make a sock or two some day, lol. i have to do 1 at a time ,or dh, or ds or dd or the cat or puppy decides my yarn needs to be unraveled.... as much fun as knitting is, this gets old quick.

what style of knitting do you use? I learned to knit from my mom and since then have discovered that most people knit different from me. It's called the "continental method" and I can't imagine knitting the other way (throwing?). Anyway, especially since I learned to crochet before I learned to knit, I think the continental method seems easier and faster but maybe it's just what you're used to...

I'm a continental knitter (also known as the German method) as opposes to the English method (thrower).

It's good to know how to do both, especially if working with more than one yarn for Fair Isle.

To further complicate my knitting technique, I purl differently too. I found out on knittinghelp.com that it is called the Combined Continental ... my purl stitches are situated differently on the needle than the knit stitches. I find this extremely helpful because I can tell at a glance (or feel of the needle) what stitch I did on my last round.

Quote:
hm. I wonder if I do the combined continental also. My purles definitely look different on the needle. My mom taught me so I don't have much of a concept of what other people do, just what I know.

My mom does like you said with fair isle, etc. She taught herself the english method just so she could do two colors.

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Looks like I do the combined purling technique then, which, I would think, is a lot faster and efficient than the other methods.

I think I'll have to bookmark that site. Looks very informative
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom