Icelandic Chickens

Quote:
One problem there, the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
tongue.png

Changing search parameters accordingly. Thank you for pointing out my lack of foresight.

yuckyuck.gif

Kelly! Good grief, this weather is unbelievable. I am having power outages every 15 or 20 minutes. It comes back on after a minute or so but one of these tiles it isn't going to come back on. I just heard a huge crash coming from the are of our neighbor's barn and stable. I hope everyone is ok over there. I have battened down the hatches as well as I can and I will just have to let Mother nature take it's course.

I opened 3 of the 4 eggs in the incubator. They are on Day 24. One of the AM's and one of the BCM/AM cross eggs were fully formed and dead in the shell without pipping. The third one, A BCM/AM cross is alive but barely breathing. There is no blood. I made and air hole for him so hopefully he makes it out. The last one I left alone. It is an AM and I candled it and can see movement and there still appears to be blood in the veins. We'll just wait and see.

Stay safe and out from under any trees. The good news is the oven is propane and I have pulled pork slow-roasting in there!

I think what Sigrid was referring to is a bird like the black/white one and the one to the far front right in this picture of Marty Favre's flock.

34566_baby-1-3.jpg

Quote:
Wow, that is one pretty flock! That picture gets me really impatient for my eggs to arrive, how long do they usually take to ship this far?

Hi Kathy

I think that I asked you that once before, I was just thinking in terms of driving down, but a good 24 hr drive I think.

By fall I expect I will be searching for various colors etc among pullets and roos from the spring and summer. I'd like to have most represented for a start.

KATHY!!!!

I got some eggs in the mail today. DD just called and asked how I'd like 'em ... scrambled, over-easy
gig.gif
I told her sitting calmly on the counter to rest would be just fine.

Here's hoping for some darker colored ones to go with all my light ones
fl.gif

Quote:
Hey KATHY GOOD MORNING! I'm trying to figure something out.... yep you know me by now...LOL
lau.gif
If I alreqdy asked you this please forgive me. Among your chicks I have a mottled or two and that looks like mottle genes in the pics but I don't have any mottled in my chicks from Mary, and Sigirid said she never had any mottled Icelandics although Lyle Behl does and did. Did all your Icelandics come from Mary? and did you get them before Mary mixed her birds from Marty with her RALA birds? Ultimately all this means is did the mottled genes come from Lyle Behl's birds via Marty's line or other lines or was there a recessive mottled gene in the RALA line somewhere. None of my RALA birds from Mary have any mottling at all. Hope you are haveing a great morning, I am just a sipping coffee to get my brain going! Wish ya lived right next door!
celebrate.gif

Andy in Fredericksburg
smile.png

Andy, When did Sigrid say she never had any mottled Icelandics? I must have missed that. I thought mottling was common among them. I know that Marty Favre's flock came from Lyle Behl and she has lots of mottling with hers.

Mary, Didn't Orri have mottling, or am I mistaken?

Ok first, thank you Mary for defining what Sigrid meant!
wink.png

And to Notafarm, you didn't miss that conversation with Sigrid saying she had no mottled Icelandics, it was not a conversation that was on BYC, so thanks for asking your questions.

In my own birds I have Icelandic's hatched from Marys eggs that were pure RALA from Sigrid. I have no birds with any mottling at all in that collection, just as Sigrid said.

My first birds were Lyhle Behl birds and they are loaded with Mottling.

This question was actually not about Icelandics in general, but about the two lines in relation to what I have here.

I was asking Kathyinmo, because I have a beautiful group of her birds that she was so sweet and kind to send to me. I have mottle birds among them.

Since there were no mottled birds in my RALA lines it lead me to ask the posted question, since I thought I understood that her original birds came from Mary the same as mine. There are all sorts of odd genetic things, such as masking genes, that cover existing recessive or dominant genes. Some white chickens, for instance, are actually black masked genes, meaning if you removed the masking gene you would have a black bird. I am sort of a genetics geek, and I love learning about genes and learning by observing, since I am thinking about these things, obsessive compulsively blessed as I am, I can't help but loving to follow the genetic trail of bread crumbs. The awesome thing about genes is they tell a definite story. And its fun to discuss that story with people who share the interest!

Once again thanks for asking!

Andy in Fredericksburg
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom