Willie and her Infants (adopted babies)

sierradane

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 16, 2010
Missouri
First of all.... sssshhhh.... if you see my Silver Sebright named Willie, don't tell her that her babies are not hers!!!

My mother raises Silver Sebrights and one baby chicken a year ago this past May was given up by her mother Henny at a too young age. The other chickens hated Willie so Willie lives in my mother's house. I take Willie out each morning to stay in her own pen away from the other chickens. She began laying eggs this year and since she sleeps in my mothers house in a special box, it was apparent that when Willie was pacing in her pen then ran to the front door what was on Willie's mind: I need to lay that egg NOW!!!

I opened the front door, Willie ran in... ran through the living room to the dining room where her box sits near my brother's piano. Willie got in the box which had no smaller nesting box at that time, and tore up the newspapers in the floor of the box. I had my daughter bring in a box and then fill it with hay. Willie got in the box and laid her egg, then was ready to go back outside. She did this about every other day.

The laying had stopped and Willie no longer wanted to go outside, so we left her in her box. She would come out about every 2 to 3 days to head for the front door to do her "business" then would want back in to sit on her non-fertile eggs. That chicken stuck to those eggs for about 3 weeks!

A neighbor called my mother to let her know that a nearby farm store had some baby chicks for sale, which is rare at this time of year. Off we went to town that Saturday to pick out 2 chicks: Americauna in breed. The store, of course, didn't have Silver Sebrights but they were cute all the same.

We took those chicks home in a box and placed it in my mother's room at the time. My daughter and I went outside with an egg apiece and made holes in each end; blowing the contents out. Then I took the needle and made small punctures/dots all around the middle... making the line "not straight" on purpose.

I got Willie off her eggs so we could go out to the front porch for her to "do her business" and for us to have a serious talk. For those that don't know this chicken, she actually seems to understand what I am saying to her. I told her I was proud of her for sitting on those eggs and I told her that I thought I had heard them pecking from the inside of the eggs. "I bet those eggs hatch any day now!!!" I told her while she fixed her feathers. Did I mention, she's very vane (likes to gaze upon her beautiful image in the mirror).

While we were outside, my daughter brought the chicks into the dining room and took those old eggs out; replacing them with the 'blown out' egges. She pressed down on the eggs to make them look broken then placed the chicks on top of the egg shells. She even tried to stick a piece of the egg shell on one of the baby's head.

It was time for Willie to go back on to sit on those eggs again, so both of us made our way to the dining room. Willie hopped on top of the tall box but stopped in her tracks. Something was wrong... different. She hopped down into the taller box then walked up to one end of the small nesting box where she cocked her head to one side to look into the box. Then she went to the other side to look from that perspective at which time she looked up at my daughter as if to say, "I told you so! I told you they would hatch!!!" She got into the box and pushed them beneath herself. Those are her babies! We named them Deanie and Sammie (after the show Supernatural), hopefully they will be both hens as we don't need any more roosters and we don't use our chickens to bake.

The chicks, who are probably about 3 weeks old, are now "GROWN UP" because they now can fly up to the 3 foot box, fly to the dining room floor to make their way through the living room and out the front door. They walk/run to their pen to show us just how grown up they are. They are going to be as spoiled as Willie.

face922d-1.jpg

aec489ec-1.gif

It's not easy being beautiful, but someone has to do it:
879b400f.jpg

I'm beautiful:
2881e93c.jpg

d1f8d525.jpg

Last edited:
That's for sure! She owns us!! I am not sure if I can post a video but I have one of Willie sitting on my daughter's head and to Willie, THAT is normal: sitting on someone's head. With all of our chickens which include Roosty, Bertha, Crooked Tail, Hennie, Mister and Ethan (along with Willie & her Infants)... none know what "here chick chick chickchick chick" means... they only know what "get over here!" or "Come here!" means.

Thanks so much for sharing, that's a beautiful story. Willie is a very good looking chicken, I can see why she looks in the mirror so much.
tongue.png
By the way, does she always do her business outside? If so, smart bird!

Quote:
Unfortunately, no. We just keep a paper towel in hand when she's inside. Before her babies, after she came in for the night she would sit on my leg to fix her feathers and look in the mirror I had to hold for her. And I know a lot here will disagree with this part, but our chickens love love love Little Debbie chocolate brownies... you roll them up into little balls. They see my mom coming out in her electric chair and they all run up to her begging. So with Willie on my leg, if I don't get a brownie ball out of the sandwich bag I keep next to the chair, she gets impatient and bites the bag or my hand. My mother had 5 chickens inside her house and we are trying to get that down to 3. Our chicken house looks like a mansion and there are 6 Silver Sebrights out there... well, now 8.

4bd28329-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom