BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
UPDATE 9/17
We think we've made some progress helping people that may have been infected. Please see here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4836194#p4836194

UPDATE 9/15 9:00 am
4 hours of sleep... yay.
roll.png
Good news, reports are coming in that we've been given the green light by Google!

9/15 2:34 am
Many of you noticed the problems we ran into today.

Short Version: The problem has been found and removed and now we're just waiting for the browsers / search engines to verify the fixes and remove us from their blacklists.

Longer Version:
Today I was gone all day helping my brother with some construction and cleanup. Well, of course things blow up once I'm away from the computer and won't be back on for hours.

Members started having some weird things happen and then started getting warning about BYC contanining "Malware". Thankfully a few members of the BYC Staff were able to contact me and we were able to work as a team to start the process of getting things fixed (especially thanks to Stacey for calling and Terrie for putting the forums in maintanance mode).

Basically our ad serving software was hacked, causing malware filters all over the InterWebs to go off. After we determined the attack was real we put the forums in maintanance mode until we could figure out what happened.

After a bunch of hours trouble shooting, restoring pre-hacked software backups, and removing all the ad codes from the sites we can now semi-confidently say our site is free from malware and once again open to our community of chicken enthusiasts.

Unfortuantley BYC (and the sister sites) are blacklisted by Google and so users on Chrome, Firefox, and other browsers may not be able to access BYC without getting a crazy page warning of DANGER! I've sent an appeal to the Google gods and have requested that they review the sites and remove their curse.

We're still unsure of what, if anything this malware attempt may have caused. We definitely encourage all our members to keep their antivirus software updated and run a scan of their system to ensure there aren't any problems. If we find more details we'll let you know.

I'm personally very sorry that this happened and apologize to all those who couldn't get their BYC fixes! It is wonderful being involved in such a large and vibrant community! Unfortunetly this also has the side effect of painting a target on our backs to people that are jealous that they can't have chickens.
wink.png

If you have any questions, please let us know and we'll do the best we can to answer them.

Rob, hope you don't feel this is out of place but..

Free anti-virus and anti-maleware programs... If you have none, get them, use them etc!

www.free.avg.com download the free version of AVG
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php download the free version of Malewarebytes

Nothing popped up on me when I entered the site using a windows computer and running these precautions except for the very first page.

I'd also suggest to folks who run windows computers to go to

programs
accessories
system tools
disk cleanup

And dump all your internet temp files etc...

Next go to your browser, dump your cookies and delete history and temp files (redundant I know)

I exclusively use Microsoft Security Essentials.... best thing about it... it's free.

I use Google Chrome and only at Boyd's recommendation I clicked through the warning.

Glad the problems have been taken care of.

Nifty Chicken - I did get the malware warning on Chrome if I proceeded to BYC a few minutes ago. Thought you might like to know.

Boyd - Thanks for the tips for those of us (not me) who are not familiar with computer maintenance.

Nifty-Chicken when I could not get on last night I was afraid of something like this, and then I googled something and I did the the malaware warning from google, but was able to get past it by typing in the home address. I took your advise and am dumping all the files as we speak.
Sorry about the trouble but thank you very much for all your hard work.

Soooo glad your up and running again I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms ( including the urge to order lots of hatching eggs of Ebay while I waited for you all to come back, DH is not going to be pleased, lol ).
Such a shame there are people in the world who have to spoil it for the rest.
Hope it's sorted soon
fl.gif
smile.png

I did have problems with my computer acting strange yesterday after visiting BYC. I ran a scan and found a trojan virus, so I highly recommend everyone out there run an anti-virus scan. Luckily Spy Sweeper found it and got rid of it.

SOOO GLAD! you are back! but this isn't the first site i have had this happen- i use firefox and finally went in and turned off the warning to possible problem sites- so if folks are having a problem, that might be something to consider- thanks again for being here Nifty!

Back
Top Bottom