‼️HELP‼️ Chicken with leaking vent and lethargic possibly egg bound?

Hello everyone,

I need your help right now, my 2 year & 10 month old leghorn hen started laying soft shelled eggs a month ago. I started to feed her 1 calcium tablet (600mg) daily for 4 days but didn't see her lay an egg anymore, so I stopped with the tablets. At that time, she was still acting happy and healthy with her tail up. But about 2 weeks later she laid an lash egg. I wasn't too concerned of it, but a week after that, she started having a leaking vent which I assumed could be a ruptured egg inside of her. Now, she still has a leaking vent and is very lethargic with her tail down. Please comment any suggestions or tips ASAP.

P.S. I just edited this thread to make it a little more detailed.

Attached below is pictures of her lash egg she laid and her current status (with leaking vent) ⬇️⬇️ :

Much appreciated,
Valerie
Just saw your post about soft-shelled eggs. Usually I just add some pulverized egg shells to their food if I find eggs that crack too easily. I save egg shells in the kitchen, and when there's a small pile of dry shells I put them in the blender, then sprinkle some blended shells in their regular food. But it sounds like your chicken has more serious problems. Good luck!

Hello everyone,

I need your help right now, my 2 year & 10 month old leghorn hen started laying soft shelled eggs a month ago. I started to feed her 1 calcium tablet (600mg) daily for 4 days but didn't see her lay an egg anymore, so I stopped with the tablets. At that time, she was still acting happy and healthy with her tail up. But about 2 weeks later she laid an lash egg. I wasn't too concerned of it, but a week after that, she started having a leaking vent which I assumed could be a ruptured egg inside of her. Now, she still has a leaking vent and is very lethargic with her tail down. Please comment any suggestions or tips ASAP.

P.S. I just edited this thread to make it a little more detailed.

Attached below is pictures of her lash egg she laid and her current status (with leaking vent) ⬇️⬇️ :

Much appreciated,
Valerie
I had the same problem. Trim away feathers around her vent. Apple cider vinegar in 1 litres of water every day, bath bottom in Epsom salt warm water for 10 mins
Dry and apply canesten cream in and around vent also give her 2/3 pea size blobs of dactarin.
I got this advice from the British hen foundation and it takes time but it clears the vent gleet
Hope all goes well
Julie x

Back
Top Bottom