✅ Method: How, specifically, do you deworm chickens with Safeguard liquid goat dewormer?

EasyChair

Chirping
Jun 16, 2022
West-by-God-Virginia
Hi, all! :)

Through great advice from other BYC threads, I purchased Safegaurd liquid goat dewormer for my chickens. I have the appropriate dosage amount per pound (again- from other existing threads).

The information I can’t find is- what is the best way to administer the medicine? Should it be put in water? Given orally with a dropper?

I have less than a dozen chickens, so administering orally wouldn’t be a problem. I’m just not sure if it’s the safest? Or if it has to be suspended in water or given in food?

What is the best, most effective (and safest) way to administer Safeguard liquid goat dewormer to my chickens? 🐓 🐓 🐓

Any constructive advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

We weighed each bird and then used a syringe to give each the proper dose. I have a mixed breed flock with my largest just over twice the size of my smallest hen. My daughter held each bird and I put the tip of the syringe next to the front of the beak. I slowly depressed the plunger and they drank the safeguard on their own. They all liked the taste, one liked it so much she kept jumping in my daughter's lap to get more🙄

I give it orally with a syringe to ensure that each bird gets the proper dosage. Best to have a helper with you, as well as a list of the dosage each bird needs (weigh them all in advance). I had my helper pluck each bird off the roost at night, and I measured and administered the doses.

This type of dewormer is not meant to be mixed with water - for that you'd need Safeguard Aquasol, which is much more expensive.

I give it orally with a syringe to ensure that each bird gets the proper dosage. Best to have a helper with you, as well as a list of the dosage each bird needs (weigh them all in advance). I had my helper pluck each bird off the roost at night, and I measured and administered the doses.

This type of dewormer is not meant to be mixed with water - for that you'd need Safeguard Aquasol, which is much more expensive.
Thank you!! Ah- I didn’t realize that about the medication. I really appreciate the information.

Thanks so much! :)

Through great advice from other BYC threads, I purchased Safegaurd liquid goat dewormer for my chickens. I have the appropriate dosage amount per pound (again- from other existing threads).

The information I can’t find is- what is the best way to administer the medicine? Should it be put in water? Given orally with a dropper?

I have less than a dozen chickens, so administering orally wouldn’t be a problem. I’m just not sure if it’s the safest? Or if it has to be suspended in water or given in food?

What is the best, most effective (and safest) way to administer Safeguard liquid goat dewormer to my chickens? 🐓 🐓 🐓

Thank you!
I recently treated mine for a roundworm infection (vet did a fecal test for me) and I gave it with a 1ml syringe direct into each bird.
Depending on the weight of the bird it was a bit less than 1ml or a bit more.
But there is a technique to direct dosing in order to avoid the windpipe so it is worth watching some videos and looking at some pictures so you understand where to put the syringe.

If you are confident they will eat it all then soaking bread may be easier

Thank you!
Hi, could you please let me know the dose of safeguard for chickens? I can’t find the thread you are referring to. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom