➡ POULTRY FEED COMPARISION CHART (Feed brand NAMES needed)

What brand do you feed your flock?

• Purina

• Nutrena

• M-G

• Scratch and Peck

• Manna Pro

• Kalmbach

• Nature's Best

• DuMOR

• Producer's Pride

• Other - Please list the brand name in a comment below.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pics
I agree with not knowing but I just don't think people care to learn. The information is out there but they don't internalize it.
I teach lots of classes on poultry at community colleges, poultry conferences and green venues. A big focus of classes is nutrition. That's why I have so many feed bags and ingredient tags still around. Show and tell stuff.
I ran into an older man the other day who fed only scratch...he thought that is all that chickens needed to eat.
He really didn't know.
He has since switched his feeding to a complete feed.

I see people on here that I have tried to help educate about feeding a complete diet completely ignore not only me but others too. Then they wonder why their birds are always dying.
I have to "block" those type people out.
They drive me beyond crazy.

I can't for the life of me understand people like that.

I agree with not knowing but I just don't think people care to learn. The information is out there but they don't internalize it.
I teach lots of classes on poultry at community colleges, poultry conferences and green venues. A big focus of classes is nutrition. That's why I have so many feed bags and ingredient tags still around. Show and tell stuff.
Do you teach one on chicken diseases too?!
:pop

I met a neighbor at the local feed store. He wanted to buy some of my hens. He said his were broken because they quit laying. I asked what he was feeding and he said 'corn'. I said, yeah but what else. He said, just corn. I said, you're starving them. I suggested he switch to chicken feed and they resumed laying - eventually.

I met a neighbor at the local feed store. He wanted to buy some of my hens. He said his were broken because they quit laying. I asked what he was feeding and he said 'corn'. I said, yeah but what else. He said, just corn. I said, you're starving them. I suggested he switch to chicken feed and they resumed laying - eventually.
This is pretty much the same thing this fellow told me.
"They weren't laying eggs because he didn't have a rooster" is what he thought...it was because of the feed. :barnie

If people don't want to feed their chickens the best they can, that's on them. Their chickens pay the price, won't be as productive nor live as long.

Sorry, but this is very short-sighted. People don't know what they don't know. BYC is largely an educational site so it is important that we continue trying to help people take better care of their chickens.

Sorry, but this is very short-sighted. People don't know what they don't know. BYC is largely an educational site so it is important that we continue trying to help people take better care of their chickens.
Have you run into a person yet that has had birds for YEARS and has been on this site for YEARS and still doesn't listen/want to learn?
When you do run into these people you will feel differently.

Last edited:
Have you run into a person yet that has had birds for YEARS and has been on this site for YEARS and still doesn't listen/want to learn?
When you do run into these people you will feel differently.

Not so much on this board as I tend to answer newbie questions being only a 1-year chicken owner, but I've seen it elsewhere. You can only offer the help. It is up to them if they accept it or not.

If they have been doing something for decades, they are less likely to be open/willing to accept advice, but some will. Just do the best you can and move on. The entire world won't turn on your say so, but you can still have a positive effect.

I have a 75 year old neighbor that is very knowledgeable about gardening. I use modern permaculture gardening techniques, but he uses older chemical-heavy, soil destroying techniques. We talk about gardening, but I know each of us will have only limited effect on the other.

Last edited:
Not so much on this board as I tend to answer newbie questions being only a 1-year chicken owner, but I've seen it elsewhere. You can only offer the help. It is up to them if they accept it or not.

If they have been doing something for decades, they are less likely to be open/willing to accept advice, but some will. Just do the best you can and move on. The entire world won't turn on your say so, but you can still have a positive effect.
I think we understand/know this and were just venting a little.
;)

Back
Top Bottom