➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Well, I did it... I bought an incubator 🫣 I've been playing with it the last couple of weeks, calibrating thermometers/hygrometers, making nerdy graphs of its behavior & trends, making sure the turner works, etc... I'm hoping to hatch out a batch of babies before the summer is over but I want to do all my research first and make sure I'm super comfortable with my incubator before I order eggs. I'm currently in the midst of a "simulated hatch" where I'm gonna run it for 18-20 days as though I'm hatching actual eggs so I can practice managing the humidity etc. I'm very excited and will definitely be posting in here again when I am doing an actual real hatch! (Posted accidentally in @Mallards and Quail's thread, moved it here so I don't take over their thread).

My first set of set eggs in the Incubator aren't due to hatch until early next week.

The second set a week or so later.

This new Incubator is VERY different when it comes to humidity. I haven't figured it out yet. It is nothing like the still air. The still air was very steady when it comes to humidity. This forced air fan one is drastically different than when I am used to.
I'll figure it out eventually.

Last edited:
@Kiki I got the Hovabator Genesis 1588, so far I like it! I don't plan to do a lot of hatching right away so I didn't want to start with anything too fancy
This is my new one:
16892950736663831954208553227347.jpg

GQF/Hovabator seems to be a good brand from what I found. My only must-haves were circulated air and an upright turner that could incubate duck eggs as well as quail. Other than that, I didn't really know what I was looking for, and watched wayyy too many YouTube videos. I got a bit overwhelmed with all the choices after a while so in the end I just went with a trusted brand & mid-range model. So far I'm pretty happy with it. I have 2 different brands of thermometer/hygrometer combos in there with it and things seem mostly consistent across the 3. It does seem to run a bit cool despite my having calibrated the thermostat 3 times already... But I'm just keeping it set to 100.0 and it seems to be OK that way. Shockingly, the built-in hygrometer is more accurate than I anticipated.

GQF/Hovabator seems to be a good brand from what I found. My only must-haves were circulated air and an upright turner that could incubate duck eggs as well as quail. Other than that, I didn't really know what I was looking for, and watched wayyy too many YouTube videos. I got a bit overwhelmed with all the choices after a while so in the end I just went with a trusted brand & mid-range model. So far I'm pretty happy with it. I have 2 different brands of thermometer/hygrometer combos in there with it and things seem mostly consistent across the 3. It does seem to run a bit cool despite my having calibrated the thermostat 3 times already... But I'm just keeping it set to 100.0 and it seems to be OK that way. Shockingly, the built-in hygrometer is more accurate than I anticipated.
I learn by doing. I'm learning this Bator now.
I'll let you know when I have learned it.

Right now:
Screenshot_20230713-195514.png
Screenshot_20230713-195608.png

Well, I did it... I bought an incubator 🫣 I've been playing with it the last couple of weeks, calibrating thermometers/hygrometers, making nerdy graphs of its behavior & trends, making sure the turner works, etc... I'm hoping to hatch out a batch of babies before the summer is over but I want to do all my research first and make sure I'm super comfortable with my incubator before I order eggs. I'm currently in the midst of a "simulated hatch" where I'm gonna run it for 18-20 days as though I'm hatching actual eggs so I can practice managing the humidity etc. I'm very excited and will definitely be posting in here again when I am doing an actual real hatch! (Posted accidentally in @Mallards and Quail's thread, moved it here so I don't take over their thread).
Congratulations!!!! It doesn't bother me at all if you would rather use my thread. I hope you have a good hatch!

Where are you planning on ordering eggs from?

Do have have laying birds now?

Back
Top Bottom