➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I wanted a fish tank but now I'm not sure if a cage cage would be better.
I think I'm leaning towards a cage over an overpriced fish tank too.

I just did egg~topsies on the 4 remaining Button eggs.... it was not pleasant. The yeller one had a very bad crossbeak & was missing an eye, it had internally pipped. Another one had internally pipped too but all 4 were DIS. :(
So I had set 12. 4 clears. 4 hatched. 4 DIS (quitters & deformed).
20200418_233352.jpg

I think I'm leaning towards a cage over an overpriced fish tank too.

I just did egg~topsies on the 4 remaining Button eggs.... it was not pleasant. The yeller one had a very bad crossbeak & was missing an eye, it had internally pipped. Another one had internally pipped too but all 4 were DIS. :(
So I had set 12. 4 clears. 4 hatched. 4 DIS (quitters & deformed).
View attachment 2096898
I saw this one earlier when I was digging.
Half fish tank half bird cage.
But then I got to thinking...I need whatever I buy to have a decent size door on it.
I need to think about how I'm going to keep it clean.
I don't want to have to take the whole thing apart every day.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...cages/caitec-treetops-clear-view-bird-habitat

Breeding Coturnix Quail Selectively Questions!

[...]
- What are good traits to breed for in general?

Depends on your goals. But in general I would say health and social behavior, as it can be very annouing to have a little raptor in the flock.
It is often described, that only looking on meat and egg ratio can produce very agressive birds.

- can flocks of quail not bred for the celadon gene have some that carry it?

As the celadon gene is rezecive you may have one or more heterozygotic birds in a flock, which lay normal eggs.
It is a mutation, quite rare yet, but not related to a specific color. All colors can be a Celadon mutation. So there is always the possibility, that your flock has one or more birds, carring the rezecive gene.
Do you want to breed to celadons?
Celadons are more and more popular ... an interessting breed project.

- Do any colors have health issues associated with them?

As said before, there are some colors having some issues. I don't know all ...
but e.g. the lethal factor, high lethal rate on pure breeds, at yellow (gold) and cinnamon.
Also red eyes, very sensitive to light like albinos, even as adult, also at cinnamon.
But many tribes are breeded to minimize these defects, ... so most cinamons have black eyes today, e.g. .

- how big should breeder cages be?

I am using for my cortunix chicks half square meter cage, 100x50cm cage with 30x30cm heating plate, for 30 quail chicks and a three-quater square meter cage, 120x60cm cage with 40x40cm heating plate, for 40 quail chicks. This works for about 2 to 2,5 weeks, maximum 3 weeks, then it is way too small.

- Is six "Families" enough to keep out inbreeding, for a while?

I would say, yes ... I am starting with 4 blood foreign tribes. Guess 6 holds a bit longer 😉

- How long can you go by doing a spiral mating set up?

Also curious.... I will let you know when I am at the end with my 4 blood lines 😂😉

- how many generations does it take to get from normal sized quail to jumbos?

No Clue. I haven't had so many generations to give any advice.

Cheers and good luck
Fenrisulfr ... on day 8 of "spring 2020 Cortunix Japonica hatching" 😎

Depends on your goals. But in general I would say health and social behavior, as it can be very annouing to have a little raptor in the flock.
It is often described, that only looking on meat and egg ratio can produce very agressive birds.

As the celadon gene is rezecive you may have one or more heterozygotic birds in a flock, which lay normal eggs.
It is a mutation, quite rare yet, but not related to a specific color. All colors can be a Celadon mutation. So there is always the possibility, that your flock has one or more birds, carring the rezecive gene.
Do you want to breed to celadons?
Celadons are more and more popular ... an interessting breed project.

As said before, there are some colors having some issues. I don't know all ...
but e.g. the lethal factor, high lethal rate on pure breeds, at yellow (gold) and cinnamon.
Also red eyes, very sensitive to light like albinos, even as adult, also at cinnamon.
But many tribes are breeded to minimize these defects, ... so most cinamons have black eyes today, e.g. .

I am using for my cortunix chicks half square meter cage, 100x50cm cage with 30x30cm heating plate, for 30 quail chicks and a three-quater square meter cage, 120x60cm cage with 40x40cm heating plate, for 40 quail chicks. This works for about 2 to 2,5 weeks, maximum 3 weeks, then it is way too small.

I would say, yes ... I am starting with 4 blood foreign tribes. Guess 6 holds a bit longer 😉

Also curious.... I will let you know when I am at the end with my 4 blood lines 😂😉

No Clue. I haven't had so many generations to give any advice.

Cheers and good luck
Fenrisulfr ... on day 8 of "spring 2020 Cortunix Japonica hatching" 😎
thanks so much for answering.
So I have a couple more questions though.

- I was planning to get the variety mix from myshire, so could i just group together a few individuals? (I believe my breeder pens can hold up to 5 birds- sp 1 males to 4 females). since it is the variety mix and there will be several lines so should i just put together the starter families with a few random birds from the mix? or should i specifically buy several different lines?

- how often should i replace breeders?

- My breeder cages are roughly 32"x24" they can hold 5 birds right? i will also just have a community cage with almost if not no males that 8'x4' this i figured can hold up to 30 birds, right?

- how do identify if one of my birds has the celadon gene without laying blue eggs?

- My cages are at 1 ft height is this okay?

I saw this one earlier when I was digging.
Half fish tank half bird cage.
But then I got to thinking...I need whatever I buy to have a decent size door on it.
I need to think about how I'm going to keep it clean.
I don't want to have to take the whole thing apart every day.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...cages/caitec-treetops-clear-view-bird-habitat
I like the look of that, but I hate spending that much money. I could make one but it would weigh a hundred pounds!!! Lol🤷🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom