➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Thought I'd finally post here. I've been avoiding it because it's my first hatch & I didn't want too excited.

It's day 18 now (or actually 17 1/2, considering how late in the day I started the incubation), and I actually have chicks! 8 hatched yesterday, but (due to many errors regarding temperature, humidity, and basically anything else I could do wrong) 3 ended up dying. :(

The 5 that survived I ended up moving to the brooder, after reading so many different opinions about the pros and cons about opening the incubator to move them. I wasn't too confident about the conditions inside the incubator, especially with the 3 dead ones in there. (I've also removed the dead ones)

This morning I checked the brooder and they were very much alive and well. 2 (correction: just checked before posting this, and it's 3) more have also hatched in the incubator, and both of those seem to be doing well also. I figure as long as I have at least 1 male & 1 female I'll be happy (though I'd prefer more females, of course!), and I'm already ordering a hygrometer and a thermometer (or 2) for future hatches (rather than relying on the ones built into the incubator).

Thought I'd finally post here. I've been avoiding it because it's my first hatch & I didn't want too excited.

It's day 18 now (or actually 17 1/2, considering how late in the day I started the incubation), and I actually have chicks! 8 hatched yesterday, but (due to many errors regarding temperature, humidity, and basically anything else I could do wrong) 3 ended up dying. :(

The 5 that survived I ended up moving to the brooder, after reading so many different opinions about the pros and cons about opening the incubator to move them. I wasn't too confident about the conditions inside the incubator, especially with the 3 dead ones in there. (I've also removed the dead ones)

This morning I checked the brooder and they were very much alive and well. 2 (correction: just checked before posting this, and it's 3) more have also hatched in the incubator, and both of those seem to be doing well also. I figure as long as I have at least 1 male & 1 female I'll be happy (though I'd prefer more females, of course!), and I'm already ordering a hygrometer and a thermometer (or 2) for future hatches (rather than relying on the ones built into the incubator).
What type of incubator do you have, im so surprised to hear several died in the incubator, I’m wondering if there isnt some problem with the incubator?

What type of incubator do you have, im so surprised to hear several died in the incubator, I’m wondering if there isnt some problem with the incubator?
Incuview All-in-One.
I'd like to get a second thermometer to check what the temperature in there actually was. It constantly said that it was a bit cooler than it should be, despite me setting the thermostat to a bit warmer.
I know I also had the humidity too high for incubation & a touch too low for hatching (edit: I've corrected that part of the issue now). And I forgot to take out the ventilation plug... I'm pretty sure it was my error, rather than an incubator problem. The ones that died were very weak and didn't move far after hatching. One actually only got halfway out of the egg.

Back
Top Bottom