➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Are your snow angels double silver? Any blind albinos?
Yeah they are double silvers that came from the snowie hatching eggs I ordered. I have one double silver roo, one double silver hen, and I keep 2 other hens in, which vary. The most recent ones were injured and needed a safe place to recover, no better place than inside with blind roommates.

Ok here’s the update...

It’s been a crazy morning in chick related shenanigans. One of my brand new heat bulbs went out over night and my husband got up and shouted for me to come quick, one of the brooder lights went out and the chicks looked really bad. I run upstairs to check, and not only has the light gone out, in their panic, many of them have somehow gotten wet! They’re huddled and wet, going crazy huddling. I swap the light with the one from the other brooder and I put a regular bulb in to replace the burnt out one, I then spend the rest of the morning swapping the lights from brooder to brooder to keep them warm, because the soft white doesn’t cut it. I went to Petsmart and was waiting outside when they opened. Last time they had only had two bulbs so I couldn’t buy extras, this time they had one! So I bought like 4 different kinds, including an expensive ceramic one that I hope has a long life based on its cost. Anyway no one died. It was the sex link brooder, and they hatched a day earlier, if it had been the other brooder, the chicks were half as old, I probably would have lost some.

Moving on, I’m happy to report:
08DE609B-CB0E-43B9-A0A3-29D43E9EEE95.jpeg
3057D4D9-2BE9-4A44-9736-963785E5DB4C.jpeg

Little Magellan is up and screaming, running around looking a bit rough, but otherwise well. Toes spread, no splay, good and strong. As soon as the chicks are all settled down from their crisis I’ll move him to the brooder.

Both of the reptile heat lamps I bought have already died, just like yours in the middle of the night. I wish they were more reliable because it was just enough light I could check on them without turning on a room light at night. Right now I'm using a blacklight and a ceramic one. I'll probably buy a couple extra blacklights at halloween.

Both of the reptile heat lamps I bought have already died, just like yours in the middle of the night. I wish they were more reliable because it was just enough light I could check on them without turning on a room light at night. Right now I'm using a blacklight and a ceramic one. I'll probably buy a couple extra blacklights at halloween.
I really like the red bulb for the same reason, just enough light for me, and a nightlight for the chicks so they dont scream. But the ceramic thing seems really strong, I like it so far.

I combined the snowie offspring I want to keep in with the sex links. I just kept a couple males for selling with them when they’re older. There’s a few still in the small brooder, Magellan and a couple small ones, as well as some roux with silver that kind of blend in with the sex links. Here’s a pic of the main group:
0BA5A964-8CC0-409E-ADF8-286AD48E1032.jpeg

I got a cute scarlet with no pattern visible so far, funny thing is she has no eye brows:
40A019D9-93CC-4CE8-A2DA-081DF31D2CFC.jpeg

it’s like she has thin feathers over the eyes and ear hole, but the yellow down didn’t grow, the faint yellow over the eyes and ear are just skin showing thru. Really weird. I had that patternless scarlet before that I called cocoa, and it just grew up to a scarlet with no visible barring or lacing, but I’m pretty sure it had eyebrows when it was just hatched.

I really like the red bulb for the same reason, just enough light for me, and a nightlight for the chicks so they dont scream. But the ceramic thing seems really strong, I like it so far.
I’m using the ceramic 100w for the first time. It produces more even heat than a red bulb. I already like it better. I need to research and find a heat sensor that will alarm when the temp lowers below a certain point. If I find one I doubt I’ll ever use another glass bulb. I’ll just keep a few ceramics in stock.

I’m using the ceramic 100w for the first time. It produces more even heat than a red bulb. I already like it better. I need to research and find a heat sensor that will alarm when the temp lowers below a certain point. If I find one I doubt I’ll ever use another glass bulb. I’ll just keep a few ceramics in stock.
I’m liking it so far. Hopefully they won’t cry all night because they’re used to the light. The small brooder is next to it, and still has a light. Man was I afraid that I was running up the steps this morning to find a box of dead chicks, I’m shocked I didn’t lose any. It had been out a while from what I could tell. Everything was cold, the water, the washcloth under the light, the bulb, the lamp shade, all of it was cold. The worst is, my mom lives with us, and gets up at like 5 am every day because she’s older and says she can’t sleep anymore. She smokes like a chimney and must have walked past them 5 or 6 times going in and outside, how could she not notice the light out and them freaking and screaming? 🤦‍♀️

I’m liking it so far. Hopefully they won’t cry all night because they’re used to the light. The small brooder is next to it, and still has a light. Man was I afraid that I was running up the steps this morning to find a box of dead chicks, I’m shocked I didn’t lose any. It had been out a while from what I could tell. Everything was cold, the water, the washcloth under the light, the bulb, the lamp shade, all of it was cold. The worst is, my mom lives with us, and gets up at like 5 am every day because she’s older and says she can’t sleep anymore. She smokes like a chimney and must have walked past them 5 or 6 times going in and outside, how could she not notice the light out and them freaking and screaming? 🤦‍♀️
Mine only cry if the light turns off abruptly. My house has the Phillips Hue lights, so I just set the lights to fade out. You can also have them in a room with a light, turn off that light while an adjacent room or hall light is on, then turn that one off after a while.

Back
Top Bottom