➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Okay, I have three babies that have hatched. One at 10 pm last night and 2 that hatched sometime around 3 am. When should I get them moved to the brooder so they can get water? The first one is all dry and fluffy and getting around pretty good, but the other two need more time. Do I leave Fluffy in there so he’s not alone in the brooder? I don’t want him dehydrating cuz I waited too long to move him...

I also appear to have some that aren’t going to make it. They made pip holes yesterday but have yet to do anything else. And I see one egg rocking but no pip mark.
Go ahead and get your hatched chicks into the brooder. Don't worry about the others yet, it can take 24 hours between pip and zip. Sometimes it takes a bit longer. The ones that are rocking are getting into position before they pip.

Here’s little Magellan, he’s smaller than most (not all) of the others, but I think within the next day or 2 I won’t be able to tell which he is.
2DA0EF85-56DE-4986-83D6-2653BA841C7F.jpeg

I put mine on shelf liner to prevent leg issues and really don't see them rock that much. They do a little bit, but sometimes I'm bumping the table. If they are in a nook in the shelf liner they don't rock at all.

3 babies! How exciting! More will come.
Yeah, I think the babies are just adorable! They’re even tinier than I had imagined. One of them is super duper tiny but has a lot of get up and go. ❤️ Now I just have to wait and see! It’s Day 18 today, still more time for the others I hope!

Here’s little Magellan, he’s smaller than most (not all) of the others, but I think within the next day or 2 I won’t be able to tell which he is.
View attachment 2629907
looks like you got a dead one in the lower right corner. :lau

look! legs and a yeller!

Leave me alone, I'm sunbathing, he says.

So I just need reassurance that it’s reasonable to think some eggs may still hatch on Day 18, yes? Even though about half of them hatched yesterday? I’m almost positive the egg that was rocking earlier now has a pip and I think I saw another new one—this was around 6 hours ago. I’m pretty sure at least three didn’t make it. I was afraid to jump in and assist too much and I think I waited too long :-( I just want to make sure it’s worth continuing to run the bator and keep the humidity up. Thanks!

So I just need reassurance that it’s reasonable to think some eggs may still hatch on Day 18, yes? Even though about half of them hatched yesterday? I’m almost positive the egg that was rocking earlier now has a pip and I think I saw another new one—this was around 6 hours ago. I’m pretty sure at least three didn’t make it. I was afraid to jump in and assist too much and I think I waited too long :-( I just want to make sure it’s worth continuing to run the bator and keep the humidity up. Thanks!
It seems they hatched a bit early, so you were probably running just a bit warm. There may be cooler spots, some might be slower, you may get a few more today and even tomorrow. As you get to know your bator, you can dial in more precisely from experience, but you may have a wider spread when your just getting used to it. Last hatch all mine hatched day 18-19, I pulled out the shells, eggs that didn’t pop,etc, and had a tray that I had set a week later so it was still in the bator running, humidity back down. on day 22 I hear peeping! An egg had rolled into a back corner and I hadn’t noticed, and it hatched 4 days late! Normally I candle, then open eggs to make sure I’m not tossing eggs with live chicks, but I’m short and it was far back and I missed it. It was late because it was albino and it died on the 3rd day due to what I assume were internal issues, so it was a collection of odd events, but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom