➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I read that might be an issue :/
Do you know how myshire farms manage to circumvent this problem?
They claim that their stock will breed 60% true, which means that they are selling the birds for breeding purposes too right?
My snowies from Myshire were not 60% true. Their numbers differ depending on the variety. When I contacted them, Zack encouraged me to breed them together to get more in the next gen. I did a lot of research after hatching them, and basically breeding silver to silver is going to create 25% of the offspring being double silvers. Double silvers are solid white, often sickly if they do hatch, they’re blind, and many don’t even develop at all in the egg. The proper way to breed snowies is to cross snowies to pearls and that way about 50% would be snowie. With all patterns that are silver colors, you will want to cross silver to non silver to prevent the lethal whites.

My snowies from Myshire were not 60% true. Their numbers differ depending on the variety. When I contacted them, Zack encouraged me to breed them together to get more in the next gen. I did a lot of research after hatching them, and basically breeding silver to silver is going to create 25% of the offspring being double silvers. Double silvers are solid white, often sickly if they do hatch, they’re blind, and many don’t even develop at all in the egg. The proper way to breed snowies is to cross snowies to pearls and that way about 50% would be snowie. With all patterns that are silver colors, you will want to cross silver to non silver to prevent the lethal whites.
I’m definitely going to watch and learn from this hatch. Will be switching out this male once my younger ones mature. unfortunately I don’t have any pearls, but hopefully one of my young rosettas will end up being male!

I’m definitely going to watch and learn from this hatch. Will be switching out this male once my younger ones mature. unfortunately I don’t have any pearls, but hopefully one of my young rosettas will end up being male!
One of the difficult things, and this is probably why Myshire eggs gave me 3 double silvers, some pearls are identical to snowies. There’s a wide range of silver hues, and I had a hen who I believed was pearl, she was lovely pure white with nice dark black spots on her back. She was the first offspring of the Myshire snowies crossed to my celadons, to lay blue eggs. I put her with a celadon, non silver male and some normal layers so I could easily identify her eggs, and 50% of her offspring turned out to be silver. That means she isn’t pearl, her spots were not black, they were very dark gray. I’m thinking that even the best laid plans for snowie or silver breeding may get these black fakers showing up, and then some double silvers pop out, and the breeder needs to go find the culprit. I imagine in a huge operation like Myshire, finding the pretender is easier said than done.

I see your profile says you are in ny. If you are near nj, I have lots of various roosters of different colors and patterns, most carry celadon. I actually have 2 male jails because I haven’t had enough birds to warrant going to the auction. So if you ever need a certain type of male, let me know. I just hatched blacks that are supposed to be from the k dale lines, but they’re all dusted with chocolate and are not anywhere near as black as the kdales, but they’re still pretty good looking, I’m certain out of the 11 I hatched, I’ll have extra males of them too.

Haven't been getting notifications :/
One of the difficult things, and this is probably why Myshire eggs gave me 3 double silvers, some pearls are identical to snowies. There’s a wide range of silver hues, and I had a hen who I believed was pearl, she was lovely pure white with nice dark black spots on her back. She was the first offspring of the Myshire snowies crossed to my celadons, to lay blue eggs. I put her with a celadon, non silver male and some normal layers so I could easily identify her eggs, and 50% of her offspring turned out to be silver. That means she isn’t pearl, her spots were not black, they were very dark gray. I’m thinking that even the best laid plans for snowie or silver breeding may get these black fakers showing up, and then some double silvers pop out, and the breeder needs to go find the culprit. I imagine in a huge operation like Myshire, finding the pretender is easier said than done.

Sounds like a double edge sword. I wonder if Myshire ends up culling quite a few birds with the silver hatches. I can't bring myself to cull... but if someone else would do it for me, I won't stop them. lol

I see your profile says you are in ny. If you are near nj, I have lots of various roosters of different colors and patterns, most carry celadon. I actually have 2 male jails because I haven’t had enough birds to warrant going to the auction. So if you ever need a certain type of male, let me know. I just hatched blacks that are supposed to be from the k dale lines, but they’re all dusted with chocolate and are not anywhere near as black as the kdales, but they’re still pretty good looking, I’m certain out of the 11 I hatched, I’ll have extra males of them too.
Ooooh, that would be amazing. North Jersey? I'm in Orange county... All I want are pretty eggs and birbs with good temperaments, not too fussy about looks - haha.

Sounds like a double edge sword. I wonder if Myshire ends up culling quite a few birds with the silver hatches. I can't bring myself to cull... but if someone else would do it for me, I won't stop them. lol

Ooooh, that would be amazing. North Jersey? I'm in Orange county... All I want are pretty eggs and birbs with good temperaments, not too fussy about looks - haha.
I know that Myshire SSC eggs get albinos. That pitiful little chick in the picture came from an egg from Myshire. I get even more of them if I breed my own. I keep silvers, but I don't breed silver to silver.

I’m in somerset county. So central to north jersey.

I know that Myshire SSC eggs get albinos. That pitiful little chick in the picture came from an egg from Myshire. I get even more of them if I breed my own. I keep silvers, but I don't breed silver to silver.
I didn’t realize Myshire eggs could produce albinos. I only had 2 out of 6 SSC chicks hatch in my last batch (low quality incubator). Both were white and only lasted about 2 days- I wonder if they were albinos.
67B1BD0A-D0B6-4129-BCEF-446A32BF4ED5.jpeg

I didn’t realize Myshire eggs could produce albinos. I only had 2 out of 6 SSC chicks hatch in my last batch (low quality incubator). Both were white and only lasted about 2 days- I wonder if they were albinos. View attachment 2963122
Albinos aren't yellow. They're white, have red eyes, their eyes are often swollen and they are often blind. They are also usually smaller and less hea
0525201828b.jpg
lthy than the other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom