➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

as a kid we would put them down ourselves with a gun :hit
as an adult it broke my heart when I put down a poney I had had for 30 yrs.
about 17 yrs ago My st bernard needed to be put down and I thought it would be easier, for both of us, if I took him to the vet... was not any easier on me, bawled the whole time I was in the waiting room. Cost $150 to put him asleep and the same again to cremate... a bullet and a renting a backhoe would have been cheaper. Not sure if I could have shot him though:hit

as a kid we would put them down ourselves with a gun :hit
as an adult it broke my heart when I put down a poney I had had for 30 yrs.
about 17 yrs ago My st bernard needed to be put down and I thought it would be easier, for both of us, if I took him to the vet... was not any easier on me, bawled the whole time I was in the waiting room. Cost $150 to put him asleep and the same again to cremate... a bullet and a renting a backhoe would have been cheaper. Not sure if I could have shot him though:hit
I struggle putting down ailing chickens. I tried once to do the deed with a knife and couldn't even bring myself to get the knife to the skin. :oops:

I’ve tried different ways with chickens, each time I think it will be better (easier on me) than the last. But it never gets any easier. The decision of “when” does get easier. But the deed doesn’t.
I settled on gassing.
We have an ailing hen now that we are considering using sedatives on.

That's so true. We got our last dog at the shelter by pure luck. We were the shelter registering our other dogs and saw her. She has just come in and was still recovering from being spayed. We had to take her on the spot, as she was slated to be picked up by a rescue organization at the end of the day. Some of the rescues are great, and some are run by some real jerks who make adopting a dog a really unpleasant experience.
Story time. When I was 16/17 or so I visited a local “rescue” for a day to decide if I wanted to volunteer there long term, and ended up lasting an hour, tops. The whole thing was just so off. The woman complained to me nonstop about her neighbors and how they had it out for her and apparently wanted to steal her horses; the rooms at the back reeked of urine and were stuffed with little dogs and had about 10 dogs running loose, all looked ungroomed and many had visible fleas crawling on them; the backyard of her building was about 50 small kennel runs lined up like a prison camp with dogs packed in on mud and howling nonstop.
It was truly bizzare and I didn’t know whether to feel pity (she talked nonstop about how she recieved no financial help from anyone and the dogs relied on her personal income and labor) or anger. Needless to say I got the hell out of Dodge and never went back.

Months later the Houston SPCA busted her for animal hoarding and took all her animals. It was surreal seeing her mugshot in the news and a huge eye opener for me that just because someone calls themselves a rescue doesn’t mean they’re trustworthy. It came out that her neighbors had called animal control on her multiple times, but every time she would clean up her act and hide everything and it would blow over. Oh, and the “horse stealing” was her neighbors trying to sneak food and water to her horses that were skin and bones (I never saw them).

The craziest part is, I actually almost gave that psycho my dog, Clementine. This was back when we first found her and my parents were adamant we weren’t keeping her. That “rescue” was the only one accepting dogs over 30 pounds; if I hadn’t scoped out the potential volunteer work, who knows where my baby Clem would be.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/dozens-of-animals-seized-from-sanctuary
This was the initial seizure. There were a lot more than 26 dogs in that place, I always wondered what she did with them.
I can’t find the updated article but if I remember correctly, she spent half a year in jail and reopened after that, and then was busted again and closed down for good.

I just forwarded Tes the info on one of the mobile vet's in our area. Just so she can see that we do have one. I could only find one.:th
Thanks for that. I’ve seen it offered at some regular vets, I think you just have to ask, but I’m not sure if it’ll run you into the $1000’s or what. I’m pretty sure my old boss from the clinic I worked at would do it if I asked but they’re expensive and far away.

Story time. When I was 16/17 or so I visited a local “rescue” for a day to decide if I wanted to volunteer there long term, and ended up lasting an hour, tops. The whole thing was just so off. The woman complained to me nonstop about her neighbors and how they had it out for her and apparently wanted to steal her horses; the rooms at the back reeked of urine and were stuffed with little dogs and had about 10 dogs running loose, all looked ungroomed and many had visible fleas crawling on them; the backyard of her building was about 50 small kennel runs lined up like a prison camp with dogs packed in on mud and howling nonstop.
It was truly bizzare and I didn’t know whether to feel pity (she talked nonstop about how she recieved no financial help from anyone and the dogs relied on her personal income and labor) or anger. Needless to say I got the hell out of Dodge and never went back.

Months later the Houston SPCA busted her for animal hoarding and took all her animals. It was surreal seeing her mugshot in the news and a huge eye opener for me that just because someone calls themselves a rescue doesn’t mean they’re trustworthy. It came out that her neighbors had called animal control on her multiple times, but every time she would clean up her act and hide everything and it would blow over. Oh, and the “horse stealing” was her neighbors trying to sneak food and water to her horses that were skin and bones (I never saw them).

The craziest part is, I actually almost gave that psycho my dog, Clementine. This was back when we first found her and my parents were adamant we weren’t keeping her. That “rescue” was the only one accepting dogs over 30 pounds; if I hadn’t scoped out the potential volunteer work, who knows where my baby Clem would be.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/dozens-of-animals-seized-from-sanctuary
This was the initial seizure. There were a lot more than 26 dogs in that place, I always wondered what she did with them.
I can’t find the updated article but if I remember correctly, she spent half a year in jail and reopened after that, and then was busted again and closed down for good.
Yikes.

I was researching this issue some more today. Some states now ban the sale of dogs from breeders. California just passed a law last year making it illegal for pet stores to offer dogs for sale unless they come from rescue organization or shelters. The end result has been an upsurge of unethical rescue organizations; many who buy from the very same breeders that the law was supposed to be putting out of business. Others sweep busy shelters and transport dogs hundreds of miles to more wealthy clientele.

Definitely the worst part of owning a dog. :( So sorry for you and Kiki.

If it comes to it, I’d rather have a vet come to our house to euthanize our pup as he is terrified of vet clinics. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth it?

X2 :hit

We've had too many bad experiences at the vet & decided never again. I think it makes a difficult situation worse. Our last time, we called someone out to the house. It was a little more expensive than the vet, but well worth the extra coin. Our dog $Penny was in her favorite spot & never had to be disturbed. The vet said, "isn't this nice that she can be here in her own yard, in her favorite sleeping spot with her own...um... chickens???" The flock had been hiding from her but took that exact moment to parade by single file. It totally took her off guard & kind of lightened a very heavy situation. I will do it that way every time in the future if I can.

X2 :hit

We've had too many bad experiences at the vet & decided never again. I think it makes a difficult situation worse. Our last time, we called someone out to the house. It was a little more expensive than the vet, but well worth the extra coin. Our dog $Penny was in her favorite spot & never had to be disturbed. The vet said, "isn't this nice that she can be here in her own yard, in her favorite sleeping spot with her own...um... chickens???" The flock had been hiding from her but took that exact moment to parade by single file. It totally took her off guard & kind of lightened a very heavy situation. I will do it that way every time in the future if I can.

They must have known.

Back
Top Bottom