➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

Everyone is still alive. The chicks are milling about doing chick things while the big one sits under the lamp. Poor thing.
794337DC-0525-4FAD-B250-C336870E1C06.jpeg

Per SPCA
"These are Cornish cross chicks. It is a breed that was genetically modified to grow extremely fast for meat. They will be full size by 3-4 months and some will be unable to walk after that. Most are put down before six months because they become too large to even move by then."
https://6abc.com/300-baby-chicks-rescued-by-the-pennsylvania-spca-in-lawncrest/4254828/

https://www.pspca.org/blog/pennsylvania-spca-rescues-800-chicks-abandoned-vacant-lot-north-philadelphia
That’s so sad!

Per SPCA
"These are Cornish cross chicks. It is a breed that was genetically modified to grow extremely fast for meat. They will be full size by 3-4 months and some will be unable to walk after that. Most are put down before six months because they become too large to even move by then."
https://6abc.com/300-baby-chicks-rescued-by-the-pennsylvania-spca-in-lawncrest/4254828/

https://www.pspca.org/blog/pennsylvania-spca-rescues-800-chicks-abandoned-vacant-lot-north-philadelphia
This just looks like heartbreak ready to happen. Since they are "rescues" they probably won't place any of the chicks in a home which plans to eat them...leaving these meat birds to be raised by folks who probably have little to no knowledge of how to raise meat birds. Their food has to be severely restricted to prevent them from growing as fast as they were designed to in order for them to live longer than the normal 6-12 weeks. What an idiot owner - the second article says he thinks he probably lost over a thousand from shipping and conditions prior to the remaining several hundred being rescued by the SPCA.

This just looks like heartbreak ready to happen. Since they are "rescues" they probably won't place any of the chicks in a home which plans to eat them...leaving these meat birds to be raised by folks who probably have little to no knowledge of how to raise meat birds. Their food has to be severely restricted to prevent them from growing as fast as they were designed to in order for them to live longer than the normal 6-12 weeks. What an idiot owner - the second article says he thinks he probably lost over a thousand from shipping and conditions prior to the remaining several hundred being rescued by the SPCA.
As if this guy just dumped them all on a lot and left them with no food or water. Whyyyy? People are so stupid.

x2. Though right now with the current state of 'rescue' places like that I'm suspicious of their claims.

With these #'s they really need to go to a poultry farm that can handle their needs and then send for processing as food.
Unfortunately, since their history is unknown and biosecurity is known and enforced at poultry farms, I doubt a commercial grower would allow these on their property, much less take them.
What a train wreck. :hmm

They are "rescues", will probably go to a bunch of vegans and animal lovers who can't bear to eat them or even euthanize them and would rather they die of a heart attack. smh :/

Nothing against vegans or animal lovers. I am a major animal lover myself and I probably wouldn't be able to kill them either and I know plenty of awesome vegans, but they are rescues and will go to people who want to "save" them without realizing they'll suffer like that.

What a train wreck

Back
Top Bottom