➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

These 2 are something else. They will jump up on me if I'm sitting in the chair and sit down on my lap. I didn't even have to try to teach them to lap sit! The Buff Orp, Priscilla, will let me pet her. She might give a little trill of a noise at first but then she's like, "oh ok. you're not hurting me" and will snuggle on down. She really is the sweetest and most cuddliest thing of fluff that I have ever seen! Now the other one, I've decided to call her Amber. It is more fitting than Lisa-Marie. I just couldn't keep with a total Elvis theme. I have an Elvis and Priscilla. That's it. So Amber will jump up on me and settle down and sit a spell but she doesn't want me to touch her. She doesn't like to be pet. So I respect it. Most of the time lol. She's still a bit skittish (as in will run away from me if I try to gran her). I haven't found a fitting name for the Silkie yet. Nothing is clicking with me yet. I'm still thinking on him. He's skittish. Elvis will let me grab him and pick him up. He doesn't want to be pet tho. But he's calm. He lets out a weird high pitched trill of a note. Not loud. It's kind of quiet actually. But it's high pitched and long. Almost like a type of whistle. And it's random. Is weird. He's so adorable!
IMG_3969.JPG

I've found that he younger one's always get chased off the food, particularly by the lower ranked big 'uns. This year, when I had my original hens, my 14 week olds, and my 5 week olds, all together, I had 3 water/food stations. As soon as I would fill up a dish, an older bird would commandeer it for awhile, but eventually would lose interest, so everyone had access.

Yeah, that is what I am hoping for. This is my first time trying to blend different ages so I am trying to be patient and do it right so it will go smoothly. I've learned so much from this site and everyone on here.

Yeah, that is what I am hoping for. This is my first time trying to blend different ages so I am trying to be patient and do it right so it will go smoothly. I've learned so much from this site and everyone on here.
It's a little tough to watch birds establish their pecking order. Just remember that so long as no one is bleeding or starving, it will be alright in the end.

Back
Top Bottom