➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

On a totally separate and icky subject of poop.... I need to be concerned with this yes? Is that blood? Could it be possible coccidosis? I don't know which pullet it's coming from. I've just noticed it when I was cleaning up the poo from their coop. I thought I saw something before but it wasn't as noticeable so I thought maybe I was seeing things.

There is a pretty huge range of "normal" in chicken poop. Google "chicken poop chart." Pinkish coloring can be caused by something they ate, or normal, minor shedding of intestinal lining. I generally don't worry about an odd looking poop, unless there is something about the bird itself that looks off, or funny looking poops persist for several days.

I can't believe I liked a picture of chicken poop. :gig

Hi all :frow
I got a new job, that is really taking me away from my BYC time :(

As far as I know, the house is still scheduled to be set on Wednesday, but it's been snowing for about 36 hours straight. :fl that it can still happen!
Congratulations on the new job. Hope the house project stays on schedule.

Wow! That is fascinating, thank you for the cliff notes! Is genealogy what you studied for a living?

Best of luck, and congrats on the new job! Stay safe and warm.
It’s back up to the 60’s in Texas, good weather for moving. :)
You are welcome....a History minor in college.
40 plus years hobby hunting genealogy background on my many family trees. Dad's father was adopted so there are two trees there ... his biological Cherokee Indian and New England and then his German lineage. Dad's mother was French. My Mom's family has roots in both England and Scotland and there is a link to John Quincy Adams.
Then, I've been researching my husband's family and my daughter's family line thru her husband.

Broke

or
retired :gig
Not Gain fully employed....retired just means we have different things going on in our too few hours in the day!

A quick question. I was out sitting with the littles yesterday and the feathers on Elvis' feet are bothering me and I don't know if it's warranted or not. They just look a little frayed? They just don't look full? Complete? I don't know what word I am looking for which is annoying! :he I also noticed there was a pink spot on his right foot. It's up towards the base of the feather on his foot. Like where it's growing out from? Or close to it anyway. I tried to touch one of his foot feathers close to the spot and he jerked it away and I just didn't pursue it. I didn't want to hurt him. He ended up jumping down off of my lap before I grabbed him to get a better look. Now my question is this. Is it normal feather wear/damage since he's just an outdoor pet? Like not a show/pampered chicken? Maybe from where him and Bowie jump up and spar with each other? So would be normal in those circumstances? And is there anything like vitamins or anything in particular that would help his feathering? Or if I did give him anything, would it not help because he is going to have outdoor wear and tear? I hope I am explaining ok. Anyway, here are a couple pics.
View attachment 1606586
View attachment 1606587
View attachment 1606588
You can't see the pink spot. I'll have to try and get a pic of it maybe tomorrow. I am thinking it's probably from a feather getting tweaked (for lack of a better word) and it caused a little bleeding in the shaft? I'm hoping that is all anyway. I'll get a better look tomorrow. Thoughts? Am I over-reacting?
I trim back the sparse feathers on the feet on my Cochins. Mice find nibbling on feathers as a source for calcium.
Molting does strip the feather shafts too.
Besides what has already been suggested...bump up the protein a little with meat scraps and fat or a can of tuna once in a while.
I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping.
I'm never usually done this early.
My goal us finishing before Thanksgiving. Unfortunately using JClub put a kink in that. Last package arrived today.

@KikisFlock

Here is an incubator for you. Unfortunately it is in the wrong part of the country.
Ooooo a golden oldie!

I did end up posting my question on the chicken poo in the other forum. Made me feel better. I’d rather seem over reactive and it be nothing than ignore it thinking it’s nothing and it turn out to be something. If that makes sense. I was worried because I just got done having a sick pullet a couple weeks ago so I didn’t know if it could’ve been related or not. I was told that it could be as simple as a pullet possibly breaking a blood vessel or something from trying to lay an egg. As long as it’s not a constant thing and their behavior and stools are otherwise normal, they are probably ok. That I may have to do a fecal float if it seems to get worse. So I got a decent idea of where to go from here. I will keep an eye on them all.

Back
Top Bottom