➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

Makes more better sense.

Everyone talks up the muscovy. Crazy Lady thinks they are vicious. She wants the cuddly ones (???).

Adult ducks. 3 for $50. Rouens.
Ducklings $5 a pop.
See who responds. Most are an hour away. Not that desparate.

This is a wild detour. But all according to the prophecy.
Scovies are super sweet. I loved the two girls that hung around here.

Makes more better sense.

Everyone talks up the muscovy. Crazy Lady thinks they are vicious. She wants the cuddly ones (???).

Adult ducks. 3 for $50. Rouens.
Ducklings $5 a pop.
See who responds. Most are an hour away. Not that desparate.

This is a wild detour. But all according to the prophecy.
$50 for three ducks? Seems a bit steep. Are they all hens?
If opting for ducklings, are you fully prepared for the uber nastiness of it all?

I picked up eleven Welsh Harlequins off Craigslist a couple months ago. Eight hatchery quality hens hatched out last summer, and three Holderread quality drakes from last November. I paid $80 for the lot of them. Gave one drake to a friend, and put the other two in the freezer. I already have a Welshie drake, and he was here first.

20190420_121024.jpg

You want the yard mowed, you gotta go with the aforementioned vicious geese.
Mine are big fat sweeties that lay big fat dumps all over the place. They are still downy, but are getting their feathers in. They are already larger than my standard ducks, including my big fat Rouen.
Speaking of Rouens. AWESOME. Mine is quiet, big, an excellent layer of large eggs, and friendly. The friendly part might ruin the whole "meat" thing for you depending on how soft your heart is.
Welshies. Best ducks in a group ever. Quiet, excellent layers. Varying sizes. Unless you want ducklings, skip the drakes. They are just trouble makers.

Personally, I'd go with Craigslist. Ducks aren't really disease carrying like chickens, and getting an adult duck is great, especially the first go around. Ducklings are adorable, but they are seriously disgusting.
I can't speak to Muscovy ducks, but people really seem to love them! I hear nothing but good things about them. If I could get past their ugly faces, I might try some one day.
I have 2 little muscovies now. Still ducklings, but they don't make a sound. Both the mother & father don't have the usual ugly carbuncles, or whatever they're called, so hopefully these guys won't either.

My pekins are total sweeties. They're drakes, so nice & quiet. Except when they see me coming with clean bathwater.

I have 2 little muscovies now. Still ducklings, but they don't make a sound. Both the mother & father don't have the usual ugly carbuncles, or whatever they're called, so hopefully these guys won't either.

My pekins are total sweeties. They're drakes, so nice & quiet. Except when they see me coming with clean bathwater.
Scovies without caruncles? Incredible.
I'd love Pekins one day as well. Something about a white duck... I think I'm getting a couple white call ducklings next week! Maybe some blue bibs as well.

So many choices! I have to agree with everyone so far. Ducklings are huge mess makers, but dang ducklings are so cute. :D

I love my calls, small, easier on my duck math since they don’t take up as much room lol. They are decent layers when they lay, but seem to be seasonal layers and the girls are broody as hell. They haven’t been near as hard on my grass as my Swedish ruined the section they were in in no time! I thought the Swedish were big, until I got a pekin. Lord she is huge!! And soft is right! Man is she soft. But she is also terribly LOUD! The calls are loud, but not nearly the volume of sound that the pekin puts out.

Females are always going to be louder, so you have to decide between eggs and quiet :lol:

The calls don’t “talk” nearly as much as my Swedish. The Swedes talked alllllll the time. Not always loud, but lots of chatter all day. The calls are only loud when they see me coming, or when they get separated from each other.

I’ve never had Muscovy, my SIL did, and they may be your best bet for eggs, meat, quiet.... if you like their look. But keep in mind they fly, and they roost kinda like chickens.

Thanks to all. Good information. Like chickens, every being is a creature unto itself. Some are loud, some not so much. Googling like a madman with a padded keyboard. Wasn't planning on ducks...

Muscovies are leading in my mind. Quiet, large, good layers. Potential for a drake? Planning on clipping wings.

Crazy Lady spoke. Desire for more duck friends for the lonely one. We will discuss my spoiling her later.

Limited coop space and replacement layers coming along nicely. I find myself in a pickle.

Back
Top Bottom