➡Kiki's Pansy Egg Hatch

I wish that I could get as much light through my eggs when candling, I can determine clears (infertile), quitters only if they quit very early (first week), and darkness. I never see veining, ever. I've never been able to see the air sac either. I currently have about five brands of mini-flashlights... and my results are from the best one I've found so far. I totally love living in Panama... but I don't like the lack of choices at the market.
What helps when using the little flashlights is to cut your hand our fingers around the light so no light shines outside of the egg. Hold I'll get a picture.

Oooooh, I'll definitely try to do it this way, I always set the egg ON the flashlight, and you've got it balanced OVER the light, and see what a difference it makes. I already use the other tips offered in the video (in a dark room, I do this at night and in the dark).
Your video makes perfect sense and THANK YOU so much for spending the time to educate me! I truly appreciate it!
All of my eggs look like the one you are using when I put them into the incubator, only getting darker inside after they've been in there several days. I candle my Japanese coturnix quail eggs on day 1 (before setting to look for cracks and other defects), day 9 (split into 3 batches, infertile eggs removed (those that look like the one you showed in your video), definitely fertile and growing (mostly dark inside), and the third split is my unofficially named 'dubious' section of the incubator), and final candling at lock down day (day 15) of all eggs that were in 'dubious' section.

I don't have a telephone that has the flashlight, so I make do with the brightest flashlight that I've found... I give all eggs that look like these more time in the incubator... Especially hopeful on #1 & #2, I replace them in their original positions in the incubator... Images #3 & #4 are moved to the side of the incubator that is unofficially labeled 'dubious'... Still in the 'bator, but less sure of viability. At lockdown time, I don't candle the whole batch again, only those in the dubious section of the incubator get another candling. I'm still learning and doing this helps me learn.

Any eggs that are well overdue are necropsied... I've found that a broken egg yolk inside can produce that dark spot when candling with my far inferior light. I've also found that extra thick brown spotting on my quail eggs also produces the illusion of fertility.

These are all good.
I was trying to show the difference in what you can see with my flashlight vs the phone light but I didn't have a camera man to take the pics. I'll do it again tonight and get better photos.

Pics #3 and 4 above...I'm actually shinning the light in the bottom of the egg...looking at the CAM side not the air cell side. They are both good eggs too.

I wish that I could get as much light through my eggs when candling, I can determine clears (infertile), quitters only if they quit very early (first week), and darkness. I never see veining, ever. I've never been able to see the air sac either. I currently have about five brands of mini-flashlights... and my results are from the best one I've found so far. I totally love living in Panama... but I don't like the lack of choices at the market.

What helps when using the little flashlights is to cut your hand our fingers around the light so no light shines outside of the egg. Hold I'll get a picture.

It really helps to do this in a dark room too.
I am not in darkness now.

Oooooh, I'll definitely try to do it this way, I always set the egg ON the flashlight, and you've got it balanced OVER the light, and see what a difference it makes. I already use the other tips offered in the video (in a dark room, I do this at night and in the dark).
Your video makes perfect sense and THANK YOU so much for spending the time to educate me! I truly appreciate it!
All of my eggs look like the one you are using when I put them into the incubator, only getting darker inside after they've been in there several days. I candle my Japanese coturnix quail eggs on day 1 (before setting to look for cracks and other defects), day 9 (split into 3 batches, infertile eggs removed (those that look like the one you showed in your video), definitely fertile and growing (mostly dark inside), and the third split is my unofficially named 'dubious' section of the incubator), and final candling at lock down day (day 15) of all eggs that were in 'dubious' section.

Thanks! This is all really helpful!! I wasn’t sure cause Kiki had called them like “black holes” or something so I wasn’t sure if maybe they were bad LOL didn’t look bad though with the veining but wasn’t sure haha

Thanks! This is all really helpful!! I wasn’t sure cause Kiki had called them like “black holes” or something so I wasn’t sure if maybe they were bad LOL didn’t look bad though with the veining but wasn’t sure haha
The further along the quail eggs get the harder it is to see details in the egg.

Same thing here in Hawaii ... Delays in shipping, high prices, lack of availablilty & choices. Love Amazon.

You can also try using a paper towel (cut shorter) or tissue roll. @Texas Kiki don't want you to "cut" your hand but cup your hand. Auto correct and fingers not always in sync with our brains. My kids are always telling me to READ before sending :lau

@Tycine1

See how hard it is to see with my flashlight in the first picture.
IMG_20190729_202801.jpg

Day 11

With the little bitty phone light:

1st pic is the bottom of the egg
2nd is air cell side

IMG_20190729_203355.jpg

MVIMG_20190729_203244.jpg

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190729_203148.jpg
    MVIMG_20190729_203148.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 2

Back