🌱Growing With Ben🌱 ~ The Chonicles of the Troublesome Seeds

Which fruits/vegetables have you successfully grown before?

• Total voters
Pics
I saw the peppers from the garden and thought, why the heck not?

Are these seeds viable? How do I go about germinating them?
From the red pepper, they are probably viable.

I would just pick the seeds out of the pepper, sit them in a bowl or something to dry, and wait until January or so to start trying to grow them.

That gives you a better chance of having the outside weather warm enough when the plant is too big for the house.

We use the dill to pickle cucumbers and we also use it in borscht and soups.
We love adding fresh dill to a lot of things. DH likes to have some on pizza, we add it to grilled potatoes and beans, and I'm sure we'll find more uses for it.

I planted it last year, and it reseeded itself this year. Next spring, I'm going to plant some nearer the house so that when DH wants fresh dill, he knows where to find it. :lau

I plan to dry some this year. I have basil in the dehydrator right now. I have a lot more basil to do, then some oregano.

We love adding fresh dill to a lot of things. DH likes to have some on pizza, we add it to grilled potatoes and beans, and I'm sure we'll find more uses for it.
Yes, so many uses for it. We also add it to salads and like you, grilled or baked potatoes and beans, sauces, etc.

I planted it last year, and it reseeded itself this year. Next spring, I'm going to plant some nearer the house so that when DH wants fresh dill, he knows where to find it. :lau

I plan to dry some this year. I have basil in the dehydrator right now. I have a lot more basil to do, then some oregano.
We have lots of basil and oregano as well. Love using them in homemade sauces and salads. We also have LOTS of mint we use for teas and various things. Some hot mint, honey, and lemon tea is a favorite during the cold months when we get sick..

Feel free to share tips, tricks, and give us updates on how your garden and plants are doing, in this thread. Share tips on growing plants from seed and be sure to post pics. All are welcome.

- - - - - - - - -

After multiple attempts at growing a lemon tree from seed, I have failed yet again. I have tried every method possible, and have had no luck.

Here’s what I did after scouring the internet to find the best methods for sprouting these various seeds.

Lemon

View attachment 3196212
Get a lemon from the store.
Preferably a Meyer lemon.
View attachment 3196214
Extract as many seeds as you can. Be careful not to damage them. I extracted 10 seeds from this lemon.
View attachment 3196215
Rinse seeds to get all the slimy fruit off.
View attachment 3196216
Soak in warm water for 1 hour.

Lay out a wet paper towel and spread out the seeds onto it.
Fold paper towel a couple times and place into a Ziploc bag and seal it closed.
View attachment 3196231

Let it sit in a warm, dark area (sock drawer, cabinet above the oven, etc.) for 5-7 days.

Yet again, I failed. No sprouts after 7 days. A couple even got moldy. :th

Orange

Some requested I grow an orange tree along with the lemon tree (in my other Lemon growing thread), and this time around, I found a pot and decided to finaly give it a shot.

Get an orange from the store.
View attachment 3196225View attachment 3196226
Cut and extract as many seeds as you can.
View attachment 3196227
I have no idea what was wrong with my oranges, but I got only 2 (.5?) seeds from one orange, and I found zero in the other one. :th

Rinse seeds.

Soak in warm water for 30 minutes.
View attachment 3196229
(in the photo- orange seeds on the left, lemon seeds on the right)

For the orange, they say to plant the seeds directly into soil after soaking, about two inches deep and make sure the soil is moist.
View attachment 3196238

No luck with the orange either. No sprouts after a week.

Cherry
This is the one I was most excited for.
It also happens to be the one that takes the longest to sprout.

View attachment 3196240
Eat some cherries, then rinse a few pits and get all the slimy fruit off them.

Use a wire cutter or can opener (I used a can opener) to crack open the pits GENTLY to get the tiny seeds inside.
Be careful not to damage the skin of the seeds.
View attachment 3196241
View attachment 3196243
View attachment 3196244
After you get a good amount of seeds, soak them in some warm water for 2 hours to rehydrate them.
View attachment 3196245
Next, soak a paper towel in water and lay it out flat.
Spread the seeds onto the wet paper towel and sprinkle cinnamon onto the seeds to prevent mold development and growth.
View attachment 3196248View attachment 3196249
Fold paper towel a couple times and wrap in some aluminum foil.
View attachment 3196258View attachment 3196259
Now store then in the fridge for at least one month.

Cucumber
Heck, this one’s short.
View attachment 3196263

I opened up at least 5 cucumbers, bit and small, from the garden and found no viable seeds. I tried cucumbers that were a little older, and still no luck. They are all not developed enough to be planted.

Anyone have luck with getting seeds from cucs?

Instead, I made this delicious, 4 ingredient salad.
View attachment 3196265
Cut up the cucs.
Mix in some sour cream.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

If you grow just cucumbers, or haven’t gotten any other veggies from the garden yet… try this salad. It’s a Slavic favorite.

Feel free to follow along as I attempt (in the future) to grow a lemon tree, after I get some tips from y’all.
Has anyone had success growing a lemon, cherry, or orange tree from seed?
How did you do it?

Tips for growing in general are welcome and encouraged.

I grew a lemon tree from store bought lemons. I washed them then let them dry out. I was always taught to air dry the seeds. My only down fall was moving it from outside to inside th he house for winter. It always dropped a lot of leaves. But all in all successful. I save seeds from year to year with all my veggies.

Not sure if you posted updates further back in this thread (I just found it), but how are the cherry seeds doing?

I have some strawberry plants that do produce fruits, but it's just that all the squirrels keep taking most of them. 🤬

Also, I have grown melons before, I just didn't check them off in the poll because the fruit tasted bitter, so it wasn't exactly successful.

Pro tip for growing peas: Don't overwater them. I'm pretty sure mine had root rot.
Also, check your cucumbers plants often. I was quite surprised when I lifted a cucumber plant and found a nice-sized cucumber growing underneath.

I was quite surprised when I lifted a cucumber plant and found a nice-sized cucumber growing underneath.
Like this?
20220803_145917-jpg.3210503

Not sure if you posted updates further back in this thread (I just found it), but how are the cherry seeds doing?

I have some strawberry plants that do produce fruits, but it's just that all the squirrels keep taking most of them. 🤬

Also, I have grown melons before, I just didn't check them off in the poll because the fruit tasted bitter, so it wasn't exactly successful.

Pro tip for growing peas: Don't overwater them. I'm pretty sure mine had root rot.
Also, check your cucumbers plants often. I was quite surprised when I lifted a cucumber plant and found a nice-sized cucumber growing underneath.
Thanks for the tips!
The cherry seeds are still in the refrigerator. I’ll take them out towards the end of the month to check on them.

I planted some strawberries the other day as well.
I took a thin slice from a couple strawberries and planted the slice in the pot. Plastic wrap on top for humidity, keeping it well watered. :fl

Did anyone ever use this method?

Back
Top Bottom