🌱Growing With Ben🌱 ~ The Chonicles of the Troublesome Seeds

Which fruits/vegetables have you successfully grown before?

• Total voters
Pics
Those that grow dill…
Curious if all of you use it to make pickles? What are your recipes for making pickling cucumbers?
Nope, I've never made pickles, with or without dill.

But I like fresh dill in green salads, and omelettes, and some soups, and cooked on some kinds of fish.

I don't think I've ever gotten around to drying dill to save for later, but I have sometimes dried other herbs, and I may dry dill at some point in the future (if I have dill, and I feel like doing it, and I'm not too busy at the time.)

Dill weed is called a weed because it is a weed. I planted dill seeds to have dill for pickles. There has never been any need to replant it but there has been a need to make efforts to keep it from taking over the garden.

I have made hot dill tomato pickles along with hot dill pickles from cucumbers. Others use it to make Dilly beans and pickled asparagus.

A difficult seed to germinate is blackberry and raspberry . Took me years to get it right . Need to mimic nature . Bird eats it then poo it out , warm stratify ,them cold stratify . Here are some seedlings .
DSCN1120.JPG

image.jpg
Ok I remembered to save the few pits of the last local cherry seeds I had. Someone please walk me through what to do next? They’ve been drying on the counter for 24 hours! 😊

View attachment 3199473
Ok I remembered to save the few pits of the last local cherry seeds I had. Someone please walk me through what to do next? They’ve been drying on the counter for 24 hours! 😊
If it was me, I would make a furrow in the ground about 1/2" to 1" deep where I wanted to plant them. Put them in the furrow, cover them, mark where they were planted and forget about them until next spring.

If it was me, I would make a furrow in the ground about 1/2" to 1" deep where I wanted to plant them. Put them in the furrow, cover them, mark where they were planted and forget about them until next spring.
Sounds easy enough! Do I do it now or wait until it gets cooler? Or maybe do a few now and a few in September?

Interestingly… according to the poll, at least 80% of those that grow tomatoes also grow cucumbers.
Of the 27 votes so far, I notice at least 20 votes each for: cucumber, tomato, pepper, squash, and zucchini. All of those like to grow in very similar conditions, so it's not surprising that they are often found in the same gardens.

If you had included cool-weather crops like broccoli and peas, you might have found more differences.

Just a note, pumpkins and zucchini are both kinds of squash. So anyone who grows either of those could reasonably mark "squash" as well.

Back
Top Bottom