🌱Growing With Ben🌱 ~ The Chonicles of the Troublesome Seeds

Which fruits/vegetables have you successfully grown before?

• Total voters
This is helpful. I’ll have to try planting some cherries this fall.

How much water do they need? How deep do I plant it? Direct sun?
The soil needs to stay moist. They often sprout from laying on the surface but I tend to plant them ½" to 1" deep. They need to go through the freeze, thaw cycle.

Direct sun is fine but many of the seeds planted by birds are well shaded. I would plant them where I want the trees to end up but they can be transplanted later.

Thanks for the info!
I have heard so many people have had success growing fruit with the seeds from store bought fruit, so I thought I’d give it a shot.
The problem with store bought fruit seeds is the fruit is not fully ripe when picked . So not all seeds are fully mature . You will get fruit but it may not be as good as the parent . Grafting is cloning the best fruit trees . There are many reasons for grafting .Most fruit trees have a diverse genetic background . Hybrid . Hybrid does not make the seed not grow except in cases of different polidy levels . Sweet x sour cherry is one example . That created the Duke type cherries . The seeds of Duke are not viable .

I have grown tomatoes from seeds I saved from my own tomatoes. Seed Savers Exchange has lots (lots-lots-lots) of info about growing, harvesting, and saving seeds for lots of fruit and vegetables. Here's some info about tomatoes:
https://www.seedsavers.org/grow-tomato

I would trust any info I got on this site to be legit. It might not work for me/my climate, but it is good info.

For any kind of plant, a hybrid is a mix of more than one variety. Just like children are a mix of their parents' genes.

If you want to save seeds, look for fruit/veg that are labeled "heirloom." They will "breed true" and their seeds should produce plants that will bear fruit like themselves.

I don't personally know of any tree fruit you would buy in a store that would reproduce the same variety from its seeds. If you want to grow fruit trees, buy a tree from a reputable nursery. Expect to wait a few to several years before the tree bears any fruit. We planted some sour cherry trees (Montmorency variety) 2 years ago. Last year, they had a couple of flowers, no fruit. This year, they had lots of flowers, but still no fruit. They might bear some fruit next year. They just need to be old enough.

Another note about fruit trees: Many need another variety for cross pollination, or they won't bear fruit. Sweet cherries must have another variety. Sour cherries don't. Most, maybe all, apples do. If you're buying trees, they should have this info with the tree, but ask anyway.

Another note about fruit trees: Many need another variety for cross pollination, or they won't bear fruit. Sweet cherries must have another variety. Sour cherries don't. Most, maybe all, apples do. If you're buying trees, they should have this info with the tree, but ask anyway.
Spartan apple is one of the few that does not require cross pollination.

That’s quick!
All of the ones from seedless watermelons that I planted have been short season melons.

Seeds saved from the resulting melons have also been short season melons but in a wide selection of varieties. There have been oval ones and round ones. There have been pink fleshed and red fleshed varieties. There have been thin rind varieties along with ones that had up to 1 1/2" layer of white around the flesh.

Back
Top Bottom