šŸ“šŸ“helpā€”ā€” broody hen hatched chicks

upstater

Songster
7 Years
Mar 23, 2017
I went out this morning to feed chickens and I had a hen that kept sitting on eggs and she has hatched three of them plus I think thereā€™s more to hatch.... itā€™s 35 degrees tonight and I donā€™t have heat in my coop. What should I do? Do I leave them alone.... more them under a heat lamp? What do they eat and drink? Iā€™m sorry I just donā€™t know what to do since she hatched them???

If shes a good mom, they should be fine. They may need food and water access during the day but that's it. If she isn't being a good mom then I'd move them to a brooder box
Ok so do I put food and water outside the nesting box???? Wonā€™t the other chickens eat that? I feel so stupid about this!

the eggs under should be fine and long as she is not in a breeze. if shes in a chook pen then the hen/eggs and chicks should be fine.
a few things to check for:
is the hen close to the ground? if a she isnt you need to move mother hen so that the chickens dont fall out and die. and somewhere the chicks can easily get in and out as the hen gets on and off.
remove any large water dishes and replace them with very shallow ones as the babys will drown in the water.
the chicks need to be fed CHICK STARTER only.

Congratulations on having a proven brooding hen! The rest of the eggs should hatch within the next couple of days and if she tosses an egg out of the nest don't bother putting that one back in; mother nature does know best. You can expect that she will stay on the clutch for the next day or two as well, and don't worry about them babies eating; just put food and water down where momma usually eats, she'll take them to the food and water when it's time. They spent time in their shell immediately prior to hatching absorbing the highly nutritious egg yolk; enough calories there to hold them babies over for two or three days. Don't worry about her taking the little ones out on walks either, she'll take them out when she feels it's safe, and give them all sorts of life lessons and then she'll cover them with her body to warm them frequently.
Again, congratulations! I wish I had a broody hen. I'm so jealous!

Ok so do I put food and water outside the nesting box???? Wonā€™t the other chickens eat that? I feel so stupid about this!

if you have a safer spot to put the hen\/chicks and her eggs then id probably move her so that other hens dont interfere sometimes the hen can fight with other hens around her as she will think they are trying to hurt her babys.

i recently had a hen hatch her babies and then killed them by kicking them out of her nest and they died of the cold as chicks need to be kept warm all the time so keep an eye on the mother and if shes not a good mum then you will need to take the hatched babies off her. sometimes first time hens arn't good!

I normally put mom and eggs in a dog crate before hatching. You could try transitioning her to the crate, but she may stop sitting on the eggs. Then you can have food and water in the crate for them. Chick Starter is what everyone should be eating. If she is a good mom, she will make sure they all eat and drink. Congratulations!!!

Ok so I actually have two broody hens... this hen had 6 eggs under her... so far three have hatched but two more have popped.... sheā€™s been on them all day and I think sheā€™s a good Mom but Iā€™m not sure. She is in a nesting box close to the ground but my water and food is hung so Iā€™m going to have to get some small chick dishes for food and water... I just bought medicated chicken starter so Iā€™ll put that near their food dish hopefully the other chickens leave them alone so they can drink and eat. I will be free ranging the rest of the flock so they should have some ā€œfreeā€ time. Another hen is sitting on five eggs but she just starting sitting so it should be awhile. This is my first time having chickens and I hatched these two they are Black Copper Marans they were hatched on Apr 12th this year so I never expected they would go broody this soon and during the winter. I live in NNY up by Canada... Hopefully they survive the freezing temps!
Iā€™m such a nervous Nellie! Any advice is appreciated

Ok so I actually have two broody hens... this hen had 6 eggs under her... so far three have hatched but two more have popped.... sheā€™s been on them all day and I think sheā€™s a good Mom but Iā€™m not sure. She is in a nesting box close to the ground but my water and food is hung so Iā€™m going to have to get some small chick dishes for food and water... I just bought medicated chicken starter so Iā€™ll put that near their food dish hopefully the other chickens leave them alone so they can drink and eat. I will be free ranging the rest of the flock so they should have some ā€œfreeā€ time. Another hen is sitting on five eggs but she just starting sitting so it should be awhile. This is my first time having chickens and I hatched these two they are Black Copper Marans they were hatched on Apr 12th this year so I never expected they would go broody this soon and during the winter. I live in NNY up by Canada... Hopefully they survive the freezing temps!
Iā€™m such a nervous Nellie! Any advice is appreciated
I don't have any personal experience (I'm in texas) but chickens do fine in freezing temperatures and the chicks will be too if they're under the mom. Your broody will instinctively do whatever the chicks need, keeping them warm, showing them food and water. She'll be fine, you do not need to worry

Back
Top Bottom