1-2 month old chick having trouble walking after getting stepped on??

UrbanBarnCat

Chirping
Jul 27, 2017
So, I recently purchased 2 adorable Rhode Island Red hens that are about 1-2 months old from a local hatchery. I've only had them for a few days but they both been eating and drinking and acting fine but yesterday while trying to socialize them with our older hens (about 4 1/2 months) one of them got a little stepped on by the bigger girls and she's had some issues walking since then.
I don't see any visible injuries on her legs or feet but she spent the most of her time outside laying down after that and this morning she get up whenever I turned the lights on to feed them.
I just getting really worried about because this is my first flock of chickens and I still fully understand their behavior? Is she just trying to rest after getting trampled? Could this possibly be Mareks disease? She was eating and drinking last night but didn't run to food this morning but once I put a little in front of her she ate it. She also seems sort of puffed out and lethargic. Going to be taking her to the vet soon is there anything else I should do in the mean time?

I'm not sure a vet could do anything special for her. She may have gotten internal injuries from being stepped on, and there isn't much that can be done for that. I doubt you are dealing with mareks, more likely injury.

I'm not sure a vet could do anything special for her. She may have gotten internal injuries from being stepped on, and there isn't much that can be done for that. I doubt you are dealing with mareks, more likely injury.
Is there anything I can do for her for internal injuries? I have the babies seperated right now in a warm brooder. Should I just continue to feed and water and hope she heals up?

Is there anything I can do for her for internal injuries? I have the babies seperated right now in a warm brooder. Should I just continue to feed and water and hope she heals up?
That's pretty much all you can do. You could try giving her some poultry vitamins for and extra boost too.

Just read your article on Fermented Feed. THANK YOU!!!!! I haven't done it because it sounded so complicated and I didn't want to end up "poisoning" my chickens because I didn't do it right, lol. I do mash during the winter and it certainly is less waste and they keep warmer....so I'm kinda seein it like doin mash. I've got all the equipment (bucket and stirrer, lol) and the feed. Off to make my first batch. After I become a pro (in 4 days :yesss:, I'll start lookin at fermenting for me. Absolutely LOVED the information in your article. :bow

Thanks. I can't take credit for it though...I didn't write it. I love FF because there is literally zero waste.

Well I didn't realize you didn't write it but I'm still thankful to whoever did and that you attached it to your signature. Talk about making me feel like I can do this, lol
It's beyond simple. Add feed. Add water. Let it sit. That simple! I'm mobile right now so I can't add a link to the ft thread that is here on BYC...I'll come back and add it for u tonight

Last edited:
How is the stepped on one doing today?
She unfortunately didn't make it. After explaining the situation to a few people a lot of people are saying it was possibly coccidiosis :hit:hit working on treating my other chick and making sure she's safe to bring another chick into the picture so she doesn't get lonely :( Or infect any other healthy birds. It's been a really emotional experience so far

Back
Top Bottom